rolled and unrolled embouchure...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Apr 9, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I just read a thread talking about "rollled and unrolled embouchure". I have no idea what that is specifically. Is there anything on the web that can show/demonstrate what that is, and the differences?

crow

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I know other posters will answer better than me..... some like to curl their lips in to go high, draw them out going low.

A rolled emb. would be like spitting a seed from your tongue. Unrolled would be like the noise a baby makes all the time, that rasberry noise, y'know.

3. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    There are many different embouchures out there. Some roll in, some roll out, some do not roll anything but use lip to lip compression only and so on and so on....here is a cool page to read for you: Rune's trumpet page, EMBOUCHURE

Personally I use the Stevens Costello embouchure.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  4. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    My bottom lip rolls out and I play just fine.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Unless you are having problems, I would ignore anything about rolling your lips. The last thing you need to do is worry about it when you are playing. By the way, my top lip rolls out and my bottom lip rolls in. It's worked fine for 50 years.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    YES, YES, YES!

This is why I often do not like to post things in the open forum. It gives too many players something other than global warming, finances, valve oil, mouthpiece, brand of horn, lip damage and circle of fifths (you know: Jim Beam, Johnny Walker, Old Turkey, Smirnoffs, etc) to worry about.

The context of the original post was that I noticed that it was hard for me to come back down after playing really high without removing the trumpet from my face. I fixed that with a mega dose of lip slurs - no dedicated embouchure change, no running from teacher to teacher. The teacher that I had at the time (and still do) was a natural talent and useless for my embouchure - which wasn't broken anyway.

My belief is that the lips should be able to tense and relax while playing. If this is impeded by the embouchures geometry, then there are natural ways to solve this. Please keep in mind what some posters here claim that works for them may be far below OUR expectations.