rondo for lifey : question about interpretation ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by franck, Nov 11, 2009.

1. franck

franck New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    I have a question about "rondo for lifey" :
    I have thos score : Jalni publication Bosey&Hawkes #20764
    This piece contains series of bars 2/2, 3/4, 2/2, 3/4 ... without additional information.
    So, according to musical rules, It should be a serie of bars with 2 beats, 3 beats, 2 beats, 3 beats, ...
    So, with the eighths in measure 5 to 8 , it should be 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 / 1 - 2 1 - 2 1 - 2 / 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 / 1 - 2 1 - 2 1 - 2 / ...
    When it's played like this, it becomes ( for me ) a piece with various rythms A kind of swing between each bars.

I don't understand why it's commonly played with "equal eight", like in Marsalis'CD.
    In such version, it sounds like 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 / 1-2-3-4-5-6 / 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4 / 1-2-3-4-5-6 .
    Like if it was written 4/4 , 3/4 , 4/4 , 3/4 ( or with a specific information like "quarter=quarter" between the 2/2 and 3/4 )
    And, for me, such interpretation becomes a serie of notes...

What is the correct interpretation ?
    Marelis' version, so I have a mistake in my score ( or no feeling ... ) ?

Thank you for your advises !

2. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    When rapidly alternating between x/4 to x/2 time, constant eighth notes is the default interpretation unless there is a specific marking otherwise. But the real answer to your question is "what does the music tell you sounds correct?" I think that constant eighth notes makes much more musical sense for the entire piece. And I do NOT think that constant eighth notes robs the piece of feeling. It's light, playful and energetic. The mixed meter gives it a sort of swing, which is lost in if you keep the beat constant (half=quarter=half, etc), especially in bars 9-15.

You can play it whichever way your prefer, just so long as you sell it. If you do end up doing it the way you're proposing, I'd like to hear it, but I don't believe it will work.

Stuart

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Using a constant eighth note rhythm is characteristic of Bernstein. Check out "America"
    I played "Lifey" as written........it has a swing of it's own.......but you must be exact!
    Wilmer