Rondo for Lifey

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bandman, Sep 10, 2006.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I went to a very nice recital last night and I heard a piece I had never heard performed live (I had heard Wynton's recorded version of this piece, but not many people play as well as Wynton). The performer on trumpet was pretty good, and the pianist was fantastic, so this was nice. The piece was Rondo for Lifey by Leonard Bernstein.

There have been a lot of people ask about difficult solo material for high school and young college age students. I really thought this piece was cute, and for a good high school student looking for something very fun and very challenging to play I thought I'd suggest this piece.

For a student that would like to hear a nice recording of this piece Wynton Marsalis has it on his On the Twentieth Century CD.

2. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I am going to play this piece at the 2006 Brass Conference. I first performed the work, "Rondo for Lifey," at a Brooklyn Philharmonic concert that was conducted by Lenny and Lukas Foss. We played all the little brass pieces of Bernstein. Lenny conducted his "Age of Anxiety" symphony, with Lukas Foss playing the solo piano part. The concert finished with the "On the Waterfront" suite with Lukas Foss conducting. Lenny gives the first trumpet license to blow the walls down at the end of the piece. I love it.
    Wilmer

4. jonny89

jonny89 New Friend

Feb 22, 2005
    Redhill - England
    Im going to be playing rondo for lifey as one of my performances for my A-level music course i also think its a really gd piece, very effective but not too difficult.

5. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Funny, wasn't "Rondo for Lifey" written for someone's elses dog?

Eric

Also isnt the Wynton recording on the Classic Wynton Album?

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Eric-

Rondo for Lifey was one of a series of pieces written for Bernstein's friend's dogs. Others include Fanfare for Bima, Waltz for Mippy Elegy for Mippy I and Elegy for Mippy II.

"Classic Wynton" is a kind of "Best of" CD that combines tracks from several of his previous CDs and a few extras (a really nice Prayer of St. Gregory, I think...). If you look on the liner notes, you'll probably see that Rondo for Lifey was originally taken from the "20th Century" album.

Best,
    Jimi

7. adohanian

adohanian Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2005
    boston
    there is also a really good performance by Phil Smith on his NY Legends CD