Root canal on one, maybe two teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachtrumpet_ ak, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Bachtrumpet_ ak

Bachtrumpet_ ak New Friend

Jan 20, 2012
    Alaska
    Recently I've had an abscess tooth due to breaking off my front teeth a long time ago. My dentist has now determined that I will need a root canal on one of my front teeth for sure and a maybe on the other. My main concern is that I'm getting the root canal at 1:30 this coming Monday and I have to play in a brass quintet for District Ensembles on Tuesday at 6:30. I'm just wondering if I should be able to play by then or if I need to tell my band director to move us to another date?

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Tell your band director to move you to another date or call your dentist to change your appointment.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ditto.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, had one several months ago. They aren't as bad as you hear; however, you don't need to play for a few days. You want to avoid pressure (mouthpiece) for a few days at that could really irritate it.

5. trumpflugel

trumpflugel New Friend

May 2, 2007
    Texas
    My friend had a tooth pulled and his dentist said not to play for 10 days.

6. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    Definitely reschedule the root canal treatment. The tooth or teeth may be sore for several days after the treatment, and especially on front teeth, they may be inflamed and in a slightly different position for a few days after the treatment.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    What everyone else said...

Personally, I hear some very negative things about root canals, and if it were me, and if it were at all possible, I would consider avoiding it. ...But that's me.

8. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    I am a dentist. What negative things have you heard, and how would you go about avoiding an indicated root canal procedure? Please don't give this young man bad advice. I'm happy to answer any dental questions on this blog based on fifty plus years of trumpet playing and 35 plus years of dental practice.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Best advice you can get.

Mike

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess what you are saying is that getting GOOD dental advice from all of us non-dentist members is like pulling teeth?