Root canal on one, maybe two teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachtrumpet_ ak, Mar 21, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Another dental joke:

This is Kingtrumpet:
    ROFLROFLROFL

This is Kingtrumpet on laughing gas:
    ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I chipped a tooth and could only get in to see my brother (the dentist) until the morning of a performance we had at Detroit's Music Hall. He told me everything would be OK to perform later that evening. The procedure went really well and he did this WITHOUT injecting anesthesia (as I was worried about the feeling of having a swollen lip). I do not know what or how he did it but it was PAINLESS and when he shinned a bight light in my mouth it was like magic... I could not tell which tooth I chipped.

3. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    Yeah. It's frustrating. Like asking a dentist which mouthpiece to use.

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    I was not providing anyone with advice (other than to agree with the others about performing right after a procedure). I was stating my own concern, and if anything, inviting the OP to investigate the procedure, if he be so inclined. As a doctor, do you not advocate patients commit to treatments without being informed about procedures, monetary factors, benefits, and risks?

Yes, you are a Dentist. But I have also been a patient for 47 years. I have my own experiences, and I have a God-given brain. It is my obligation and duty to do more than just lay back in the chair, and cut a check at the end.

Now, it was not my intention to take this thread off-topic, but since you asked, here are three brief points that cause me concern. (notice I did not assert anything as hard fact, but of something for consideration as presented by a lay-man)

During a root canal, there is no way to sterilize your tooth; after the root canal, dangerous bacteria hide out in the tooth and are unreachable with antibiotics
    Root-canaled and filled teeth harbor bacteria that morph into very toxic forms, which then can migrate to other tissues in your body and cause serious medical conditions, including diseases of your heart, kidneys, bones, and brain
    There is no other medical practice that permits leaving a dead body part inside your body, because it triggers your immune system to attack

5. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    "During a root canal, there is no way to sterilize your tooth; after the root canal, dangerous bacteria hide out in the tooth and are unreachable with antibiotics
    Root-canaled and filled teeth harbor bacteria that morph into very toxic forms, which then can migrate to other tissues in your body and cause serious medical conditions, including diseases of your heart, kidneys, bones, and brain
    There is no other medical practice that permits leaving a dead body part inside your body, because it triggers your immune system to attack"

To the general trumpet-playing public: None of this is factual in a properly-performed root canal procedure. This is not science. It's heresay. When valid scientific articles are published in the professional literature, it is what we call "evidence-based".
    The alternative treatment for a tooth that needs root canal is extraction, and that creates lots of problems for brass players, especially if the tooth is a front tooth.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    It is never wise to quote Dr. Google. ;-)

Mike

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think of it more as getting GOOD advice on anything here at TM! Gotta play the odds and give a nod to the authorities.

8. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Interesting that you would address the "General Trumpet Playing Public," and not me. I thought you and I were having a discussion. That you would do that, makes me wonder why. And, you're missing the other alternative...Implants. My mom just got three (has five). They're wonderful, and were what I was implying on my first comment.
    As for "valid scientific articles," "Dr. Google" (you wish...I haven't used Google in YEARS) easily provided one.
    Is the "Journal of Endodontics" good enough? ....Quite a catchy headline too!

http://http://www.jonbarron.org/article/root-canal-pushed-spite-toxicity

Oh, and PLEASE read my signature! I didn't come here to start a flame war...I thought we could have a discussion, but....I guess I'm just too darn stupid.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The link you provided WAS NOT from the Journal of Endodontics.

Implants are a reasonable alternative in some cases (I'm speaking as a physician with limited experience in this, not as a dentist). But keep in mind that you expressed concern about leaving a "dead body part inside your body", but have no problem placing a foreign implant inside a person's jaw.

EDIT: The op wanted some advice about how to approach a medical procedure. Nothing wrong with that. This is not uncommon on TM. But sometimes we innocently cross a line and start making medical suggestions. No one meant to do anything wrong. But it's probably something we should not do. Maybe the moderators should make that a policy.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  10. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    "The findings were published in the November issue of the Journal of Endodontics." ...Don't know what else to tell you.

I am completely aware of what I expressed concern about. Does it not follow logic and horse sense, that a bit of titanium could be an irritant and perceived as an invading body, but also would be non-porous, and much less likely to harbor bacteria, and thus much less likely to produce harmful toxins? ...Or am I allowed to follow logic and horse sense.

And, this place is just as much "google" as anywhere else. Even legitimate textbooks and institutional instruction are subject to political/financial bias. It is my opinion that one should use one's own brain (and gut) and always employ discernment, no matter who is on the other end of the web. Anyone could be anything on the web. Take everything with a grain of salt, and question authority. If said authority cannot withstand questioning and sound reason, seek other authorities.