Root canal on one, maybe two teeth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bachtrumpet_ ak, Mar 21, 2013.

1. macjack

macjack New Friend

Oct 15, 2012
    Replacement of a very "fixable" tooth with a dental implant is a big deal, especially a front tooth in a brass player. It costs more, is much more aggressive, and takes months and months. I can't get into all the complexities, but an implant and crown will not duplicate a natural tooth in position or function. I think implants are a great substitute for a hopeless tooth, but a tooth treated with a root canal can last decades or longer. Don't think that implants are problem-free and indestructible. And implants and the dentistry on them are far from sterile. Implants are hollow and if you ever took one apart after it was in someone's mouth for a while, it smells terribly when the pieces are separated due to bacterial infiltration. Does any of this matter? Apparently not, because one's mouth is loaded with bacteria anyway.
    I'm not interested in arguing about dental procedures. That's not the purpose of this forum. I'm just answering a simple inquiry from a young trumpet player who I think could benefit from my honest advice based on thirty-five years of clinical dental experience.

2. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Thank you for responding. I did not know implants were hollow. Why the heck would they make them like that?! It doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe it's to save weight...but it can't be that big a difference. But whatever, I'll leave it at that. Obviously in the end, the best solution is to avoid either procedure through prevention...if at all possible.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The link you posted was from a self-proclaimed "nutraceutical researcher". It was not from the Journal of Endodontics.

Did you read the actual article from the Journal of Endodontics? Do you read the Journal of Endodontics regularly? Of course not.

You also seem to be unaware that the link you posted was not authoritative or relevant, and had nothing to do with the Journal of Endodontics, other than to mention it for secondary gain.

Hence my claim that you were quoting "Dr. Google". It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. But it's still the truth.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  4. CornetBoy

CornetBoy Pianissimo User

Sep 21, 2012
    I wonder will it change the tone of your playing?

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Are you a doctor? If you are, I'm really glad you're not MY doctor. It seems your comprehension/listening skills, and "bedside manners" are TERRIBLE. Have you read NOTHING I wrote in this entire thread? Have you read my SIG?

I think it would seem BLAZINGLY apparent and ABUNDANTLY obvious that what I posted was ONE of MANY news articles, presented ABOUT an article on the subject, IN the Journal of Endodontics. I really didn't think I would need to point that out to you. Everyone else seems to get it. I presented it exactly as what it is...nothing more.
    I presented myself as exactly what I am--a layman...nothing more.

No. I do not read that journal. DO YOU?

What DOCUMENTATION have YOU provided, other than to tell me 'I'm too stupid to think for myself', and that I should 'shut up-'cause I'm not qualified' to have a concern?

I just find it interesting that I made one TINY comment of concern about the procedure, and I end up in "mortal web-combat"....it's really stupid.

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    1. You encouraged someone to avoid a medical procedure that he and his dentist deemed necessary.

- Several people on this thread took issue with you, myself included.

2. You misused a reference to a journal article.

- Several people took issue with that, myself included.

3. I made a tongue-in-cheek reference to your attempt to say something authoritative about something you know nothing about.

- Other than this my replies toward you were open-minded and conciliatory. See reply #19, for example.

4. You insisted that your misuse of the medical literature was somehow valid.

- I pointed out more clearly that it was not.

5. With no other way to defend your actions, you resort to name-calling and bullying.

- Good for you, Brad. You win.

Mike