Rosa Parks R.I.P.

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Tootsall, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Just over the newswire... Rosa Parks, US civil rights activist, has passed away. Her quiet dignity while she expressed her insistence on her Human Rights sparked a social revolution.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow. I can't even imagine it. She was probably one of the most influential people in the US in the 20th century and I shudder to think what the US would still be like if not for her.

We're not there yet, but it's better.

May she rest in eternal peace and God bless her and keep her.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    She was a real legend here in the Detroit area.

The famous Henry Ford Museum at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, a Detroit suburb, has the bus she was on when she refused to give up her seat.
    www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/rosaparks/default.asp

-cw-

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    The catalyst she provided for change is tremendous. Civil disobedience...it works. Her memory will live on; as will the process she set in motion.

Anyone here ever play A Movement for Rosa by Mark Camphouse? I have a feeling it will be programmed rather frequently this year.

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    It's strange hearing about people like her passing -- she was one of those people that we learned about that were bigger than life. She made such an impact on not only our nation, but on the world. Those kinds of people are supposed to live for ever, or are supposed to have lived before our time. The people who impact the world during our lifetimes sometimes almost seem to me to be unreal. How can they make such a difference? I know I could have never done what she did.

May she rest in peace.

7. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    She must have been a very brave woman, the world is lucky to have the few people we have like her, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King Jr., Gandhi, all of these people deserv a tip of the hat by the whole world.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Collin,

Let me give you an example of how brave she was. If you see photos of her, you'll see that she was a petite woman. I don't believe she was much over five feet. When she sat down and refused to give up her seat in a place where no one had ever done that before because they were afriad to be killed, she was immediately beset upon by virtually every white person on that bus. The black folks that were sitting in the back must have thought she was nuts for a second until they really understood that it was the most sane moment of her life. The yelling, the screaming, the horrible names that people had to be calling her, this little giant who had had enough. She sat there, holding on to her purse, silent, ready to be struck by someone, until the police took her away, this dignified lady. Imagine the screaming in her ear as she sat there motionless, unswerving once she'd started her mission of civil disobedience. The ugly words that filled her ears.

I would have been scared.

But she was fed up. Everyone was fed up. That's when the boycotts began. That's when a bravery that was not to be believed filled the hearts of every black person in that town. They walked and they walked and they walked until the town leaders took note of exactly how much they depended on the income from those they called by ugly, wretched names. Suddenly, a power their great-grandparents who were slaves never knew filled their souls and they walked and walked and walked until the city government gave in.

The little giant taught them something. So, yeah... let's remember her and not pay attention to anyone else for now.

ML

9. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Apologies to anyone offended by my above comments, they have been edited, it was one of those im in a bad mood so i will post something negative comments, stupidity on my part.

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Did anyone catch the big ceremony today in Detroit that was televised? It was very intense and very moving. Of course, Bill Clinton was speaking. I swear he thinks he is a brotha' and no one has told him that he is a white guy. LOL. He sure can talk a smooth talk and he said many beautiful things. Love him or hate him, you cannot deny his intelligence, charisma and poetic delivery of sentiment.

The preacher at the end was incredible and emotionally high-charged. I was very touched by the entire event. If any of you have the time, try to catch it on one of the news channels or on line. It is worth the experience for such an honorable woman.