rose gold

Discussion in 'Horns' started by davidjohnson, Dec 15, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    can trumpets be rose-gold plated?

dj

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Since the "rose" in rose brass comes from a higher copper content, I guess what the larger question really is is, can you plate a horn with two different metals at once? You shop guys, is that right?

ML

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Unless he's thinking of the"pink gold" that jewelers sell; and I don't know what the additional element(s) might be in that to get the colour.

Edit: OK, a little homework was in order.

Rose Gold Jewelry
    What is Rose Gold?

Rose gold, also known as pink gold or red gold, is a mixture of pure yellow gold with a high percentage of copper. It has a very subtle and delicate color that may intensify somewhat with age due to a slight, but attractive, tarnishing of the copper.

Rose gold is created by increasing the copper-colored alloys mixed with the gold and decreasing the silver-colored alloys. 14K rose gold contains as much pure gold as 14K yellow gold but, because of the increased copper, is slightly pinker in color. Rose gold is available in 9K, 14K and in 18K gold.

4. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    does that mean i'm asking can a trumpet be plated with 18k-high copper content gold?? sheesh, i'll just stick with rose gold. can it be done?

dj

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ask a plater.

6. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    no platers here? ouch. i just heard from one that a gold plate job today would be $950.

dj

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Deal with platers, like Andersens, thru your brass tech (like Melk) and you'll get a better price.

8. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    that was the price from anderson.

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    You'll be quoted a lower price by Melk and others that prepare the horn and send it to Andersen. Andersen only tells you their retail price, including preparation. There's a wholesale price to resellers and most of them will give you a considerable break over going direct to Andersen.

Dave

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Based on past threads on this subject, do Anderson's include an estimate for the pre-plating prep work (a MAJOR part of the whole job)? I believe that they only concern themselves with the plating itself. Someone like Melk would do the prep work and then include HIS plating cost for a "complete package".