Rotary Club

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Sep 11, 2015.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Please qualify this statement, I would rather have a current model than one made 100+ years ago.

Regards, Stuart.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Good point, or the late 1800's.
    Wagner specially ordered instruments from Alexander Mainz,
    His wagner tuba and so on.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You and me both! :lol:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is a pretty stupid statement for someone that does not own or have played a number of Alexander rotary instruments or have any international first hand experience.

BBM, why do you have to post stuff like this? Alexander is still the top choice for many types of rotary instruments especially in Germany. If their tech hadn't seriously messed up my picc during a repair back in the 70s, I would even have a couple in my collection.

Google is NOT your friend if you have no practical experience to be able to judge plausibility.

5. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well sir, a man I know who lives in Germany by the name of Maarten stated this.
    Also my French horn teacher who has a long time experience has said this too.
    Mr Wevirjik said the 1800s ones are collector or museum pieces. He said it is good but not the best he has ever seen.
    During the world wars the Alexander factory was caught in. Fire which most of the designs papers were burnt.
    And I never said the 1970s Alexanders were bad I said the golden age was in the 1900s.
    I do know Alexander is one of the pretigous rotary manufacturers.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The golden age of Alexander is even today. Most any instrument from "the 1800s" are collector or museum pieces.

What I am trying to tell you is that your copy/paste knowledge should be backed up by identifying your sources. For things that you have practical experience with, your posts sound like first hand. For Alexander, you can even use their own site:
    Gebr. Alexander: 7 Generations

Alexander didn't have any "losses" other than people dying in WW1, rather Mainz got trashed in major ways during the 2nd World War. Luckily, they did not lose all of their employees and were able to get tooling back up quickly after the war. The model 103 double horn originally conceived shortly before the first world war, is still the standard today that all other horns can be measured against. There is no horn in Germany that is used more.

Alexanders Wagnertuben are not especially good instruments regardless of the romantic story. There are significant intonation issues and although the players manage, they all curse them. Only Wagner and Bruckner really embraced the tone color between the horn and the tuba.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    My Alexander 102ST is around 60 years old, was brought back to as new condition by the factory 10 years ago, 0.468" bore at second valve slide, small bell more suited to chamber group, sometimes tiring to match our principal, (I am playing 2nd) who has a large bore and bell Nickle silver Yamaha.

Oh for a modern 103.

Regards, Stuart.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    JUBILATION, I picked up my F. Schweidi rotary trumpet today, left germany on 17 july, now for restoration, some straightening, slide freeing, resoldering and dent removal.

Regards, Stuart.

9. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I would like to join. I have a wonderful rotary trumpet from Markneukirchen, Germany made by a individual shop that is owned by master instrument maker Peter Martin.

10. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I also have a rotary flugel that is so so but Lidl Bruno. It works that is all I ask of it