Rotary Club

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Sep 11, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    You mean Meister Martin Peter.

2. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    That would be him. He is about 75 I think. Met him in 1993 when heading back from Dresden to go to Weisbaden. He made nice instruments. I was not sure if how much he machined versus put together. A getleman locally in Indiana thought the valve block and bell were sourced. I don't know much more than that. Do you know of the gentleman?

3. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Though Meister Peter isn't one of those famous really well known rotary meister like Scherzer, he was in the PGH Sinfonia group I think it was a huge firm made in Markenukirchen along with Scherzer, Scherzer was one of them.

4. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    This is his website. This is his history page I think. I thought he was well enough known. We asked who made good instruments, and he was the guy I was pointed to.

http://www.peter-trompeten.de/geschichte.html

I would think he is a fairly good maker. Again I agree maybe not one the Scherzer level, but I like the horn. Only complaint is the rotary bumpers were fairly trashed and had to be replaced 22 years later. Ther kinda dry rotted or something. He used silicone bumpers. They just mushed up when I started playing it after it sat for about 16 or so years. I know.. Tall order for 22 years without service.

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Only as much (maybe) as what google.com does...

6. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    The cool part of the story about buying the Martin Peter horn is that my father didn't have the cash on him, and we couldn't get travelers checks cashed or something like that due to day of week or time of day. So Meister Martin Peter says to my father, 'Take it with you, send me the funds when you get to America.' I have the letters describing th receiving of the money after the fact. I am still shocked how trusting the guy was and I am not sure a person today would do the same.

7. BrassBandMajor

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Is he alive?
    I don't think so, Scherzer is in his late 90's.

8. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi,
    I play:
    Schlub Brass Works Rotary: Bb Eb and C Trumpets, Cornet, Slide/Valve Trumpet,3v and 4v Flugelhorn, and Bass Trumpet Bb/C
    Hans Krinner: C Trumpet, and Princess Flugelhorn
    Zirnbauer: Piccolo Bb/A, and G....soon the regular Bb, and an Eb
    I own Dotzaur, Lechner, Monke, Alexander, B&S, Scherzer, David Glier, and Votruba

I sold a couple of Schagerls because I just don't play them anymore. I only play My own instruments, Zirnbauer, and Krinner when I play out.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I think we found our "TRUE" worthy Rotary President!!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    He is still alive.

Before German reunification his company was part of the VEB B&S. 1989 there was massive privatisation of B&S. Scherzer and Martin were two that split off back then.

27 different companies were part of VEB B&S before the reunification. The owners had their companies taken away from them and placed under central control as was common back then.