Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Here's the very rough sketch of the idea of using some suitably-bored single horn valves with a spare Vocabell bell I have (the bell bow would obviously be recurved to a very tight wrap). The complete valve block quickly removes by means of two ferrules...and can be reversed for left hand or right hand play...everything is mounted onto the valve block. (The first and last tuning slide would have to be moved).

I wanted the valve finger paddles to be horizontal above the horn in the normal spot.

[​IMG]

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I want to see and hear this!

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    How does one go about "recurveing" a bell? I don't think that would be as easy as it sounds.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    It might well be, but I suspect one must fill the tube with pitch, let it cool and harden, then set up a jig to reform to straight...and then recurve around another form on the jig. The thin part might well crack at the rear of the bell tail. If so, patch and instead on later iterations incorporate a loop similar to the third slide loop...

BTW...I still must modify the third slide ferrules to be at the same elevation as the first valve slides...so reversal is easy.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Love it. Kinda has a rotary piccolo flugel look to it. I really hope to see this outcome

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    There ARE some French horn valve sets that have the bore to match the vocabell .459" bore size, such as the attached...if one gets the four valve Bb single horn sets with the thumb-triggered A stopping valve, the thumb could drop the pitch of the trumpet whatever you wish to design it to do..half a step from Bb to A...or maybe to reach a pedal tone...
    French Horn

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much for the vote of confidence. If I do it, it will be down the road.

BTW, if one were to use a full double horn valve set...it COULD switch from say a Bb set to an F or whatever..

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    I would also expect that the area to be reformed would be annealed first in order to reduce the possibility of cracking. I have yet to discover what annealing temperature is for brass. I've found various figures, but no consensus. I would think that the temperature would also vary with the percentage of the various alloys.

I straightened a conventional trumpet bell once with the application of heat, hammer, and mandrel. I had to repair a small split in the area of what was the inside of the curve; it just wouldn't stretch quite far enough for me to manage without damage. Bear in mind that at the time I was using Frankensteinian standards, and the result was, shall we say, "interesting".

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    It might be easier then,to place a ferrule near the end of the straight part of bell tail, (ala Getzens) and fab from scratch from there toward the player.

Instead of destroying real Vocabell bells, New could be made, I suppose. I understand that the bell is formed from a single piece..punch-formed vertically I assume. There is no longitudinal seam in the bell...and I suspect that is also a critical component to the sound' s character.

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    You would need to straighten it before re bending it. If you bend on the bend you're going to end up with 4 bends.