Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    What discipline competition? Or are you attending a gunsmithing class (I presume you are a victim of autocorrect)? I would like to travel the world and so would my fiancèe, but Bill don't wanna leave his guns at home. Fellow competitive pistol shooter here, CDP in IDPA and open for steel comps.
    Also, I'm pretty handy in a machine shop with torches, lathes, end mills, et c., just saying....

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    My son and his lady friend are both starting teaching jobs in Kuala Lumpur in august and we've got an open invite to visit sometime. Is it true that a 1st class train fare from there to Singapore can be had for around $20? :think:

3. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Gunshow, I used to shoot a lot of bowling pins. I would like to get into open steel, or IDPA, IPSC. Robert Vogel is a friend of mine, and I hope to shoot with him a little while I am back in Ohio. Seth: I don't know. But if they visit Singapore, they have a friend.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Here's the latest permutation of the rotary jazz trumpet concept...

[​IMG]

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Forgive me Gordon...
    But with George's idea of valve block, you should have something like this...and I will name your shooter for you. Flash - Gordon's

[​IMG]

... Yes I bastardised your drawing. Forgive me. But the triggers are incorporated into the thumb and finger rings...maybe a rifle type Winchester lever for the thumb....??

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW my pic is incorrect, in that the valve connections, and workings will be flipped, so from this side you just see the caps. Maybe even put the 2nd valve inverted, so it is almost flat at the bottom. On the opposite side you will see the workings like you have shown.

Cool looker - maybe time to leave the seed with George, and start saving to make the Dream a reality...

7. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    The valve block I have had made actually runs the air a bit different, but it can be changed to follow the revised design of course. A cigar, and a nice scotch... and I'll let it simmer.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Peter, THAT IS FANTASTIC!
    I was having the slides aimed downward so as to be able to wrap your holding hand around it...but you solved that in a different way and I love it!
    One name I thought about was the" ZERO GRAVITY" or "WEIGHTLESS"
    in that when being played much would be concealed behind the players hands, making the horn appear tiny to an audience...but I truly love what you've done, and yes...the" FLASH GORDON: moniker would be a hoot!

Shucks, as much as I would LOVE to do so, I can never afford to hire George to build this...but it would be lovely to know someone did.
    I would really enjoy that.

9. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Guys, I have always tried to be the "Trumpet maker to the common man." While I have yet to meet a common man here, I'll tell you that I am. At least my wallet reflects that. I am not cheap, but I think I am the most in-expensive custom maker in the business. And as I have responded to the OP privately, I'll say this publicly. It is a real breath of fresh air to see this kind of innovation from the man behind the bell. My hat is off to the OP. And, someday, even if it is only to do one world tour, and find it's way back to my shelf... it will be built, played, and hopefully autographed by the man that saw it in his mind. Pictures and video will follow it of course.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am floored and honored, my friend. My, my, my, my.