Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    George...An acquaintance of mine who restores vintage French horns has offered a VERY nice Hans Hoyer rotary valve block, paddles, levers, valve tuning slides, and some extra u-bends to fit the slides for $150. Uh oh...forgot the bore...I think it is biggish. Replicating the build again would require sourcing another valve block, but for a one-time build this is a high-quality and though used, good compression piece...

Here's pics of the Hoyer set..they would be BBBIIIGGGG BBBOOORRREEE at .472"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Interesting. They might be good for something, and I might even be interested, but I don't think they would make for a good trumpet. At least not the one I saw on paper, and of course I can see in my mind from your description. IMHO

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

If you are interested, email me at [email protected] and I will give you contact information he has tons of parts..
    ê

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    State of tinkerness now...

[​IMG]

When I first played a Vocabell I had the very strong sensation that the heavy leadpipe was being efficient in getting the energy moving along downstream with little loss, but the lightness at the other end allowed the resonance to sing...so, I indicated more mass on this version near the mouthpiece. I also looked at my beefy hands and did some measuring, changed the relative locations of paddles and rings to fit and be more ergonomic...and moved the first and third tuning slide levers to be closer to center horizontally.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The leadpipe on a Vocabell isn't as heavy as it appears. That's a standard tapered leadpipe inside a straight outer tube. The large (downstream) end of the leadpipe fits into the sleeve like the inner leg of a tuning slide. The leadpipe is then inserted into the sleeve, with more and more gap appearing around the leadpipe as its outer diameter decreases approaching the mouthpiece end. The outer shape of the mouthpiece receiver (soldered to the leadpipe before this insertion is done) is such that it plugs into the end of the sleeve and is soldered in place. So there's an air-space around most of the leadpipe, inside the sleeve. Any claims of superiority for this construction tend to revolve around the leadpipe being free to "resonate" over most of its length, since there are no braces soldered between it and the valve casings.

In other words, you can have exactly the same sort of leadpipe construction on your dream peashooter, if you wish. I own a 48A Vocabell cornet that came with a terminally corroded leadpipe concealed inside the pristine outer sleeve. It now has a solid copper Pilczuk trumpet leadpipe hidden inside the outer sleeve and plays great.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The sleeved leadpipe has been tried by other manufacturers, I think Olds had one on early Super Recordings, the latest incarnation I know of is the Selmer Concept TT. I would like trying filling the space between the 2 pipes with a sound absorbing medium such as lead.

Regards, Stuart.

7. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I know a private horn maker {Not Personally} who purchased an old Amati Side action rotary flugelhorn. (With Clockspring casings)
    And converted it to Top Action Rotary!!
    [​IMG]

8. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Don't forget the Getzen Genesis, which served as the basis for one of the AMI horns I've got. The leadpipe, however, is interchangeable, which makes it great to change from a super-open lead feel, to a nice, compact orchestral feel with some resistance.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I was thinking of fixed sleeved leadpipes, my Eclipse MS has 5 interchangeable leadpipes, I have settled on one and do not change.

Regards, Stuart.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Great information!!!!!!!!!