Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Interesting, I think I would prefer a split trigger so either or both can be operated independently or together.

Regards, Stuart.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Same here.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've seen a double trigger on a corno da caccia. A flimsy thing, but well protected by the bell wrap. Exposed valve slides with complicated triggers? Seems to me like a disaster waiting to happen, but it is all yours, Gordon!

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Difficulty with this is when you need to move from low D to E or Db to Eb. On a regular (separate) system, you would lengthen the first slide for the D or Db, leaving the third slide standard length to use on E or Eb.

I must say that I have problems with all spring loaded trigger systems. Compared to passive finger ring and thumb hook systems, they add extra non-resonating mass, apply extra (sprung) stress to the tubing and chassis, and require a greater operating force.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I have to say that the trigger on my B47 is close to flawless, it is fast and the sprig is sooo light that it's effortless. My only complaint is timming, you have to let go before the valve returns or it won't come back all the way

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ah...Thank you. But mine is different...and accomplishes more.
    The spring tension required to pull back both slides simultaneously would (to me) probably be a bit much to smoothly operate while focused on playing. A normal one is hard enough.
    Anyway, thanks for looking and discussing.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. But........

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    The King Duo Gravis bass trombone (and a Yamaha) had systems like that. Instant Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:evil:

I have made some good $$$ converting these to a more standard, one up - one down, configuration;-);-)

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'll have to check those out and make sure differs functionally as per carple tunnel.
    I did spend a lot of time looking at the working of my hand to fit the controls in a sympathetic way. From my experience with MS, I've discovered a bit about which nerves run where, as it dramatically affected my ability to fingerstyle guitar playing...
    The index finger (and maybe the next finger...not sure now) run on a different neural circuit than the lower fingers.
    What that means is, if the design utilizes the direct neural network wisely it makes a quicker, more natural, less thought-intensive movement.
    Based on the workings of my own hand, I can tell that what I have in mind would work well for me and do so without drastic rewiring of my automatic responses...plus do so without odd or extreme motion of the hand and fingers.
    For everybody? Absolutely not. ANYTHING that suits the needs and desires of all is likely to be vanilla in a Neopolitan with chocolate chips and sprinkles specialty trumpet market.
    This trumpet itself, by nature and intent, a very niched item. It will definitely be fragile, it will be expensive to produce, and l...since one exactly like it has never been produced it will lack the benefit of refinement through fire...at least for the first number of them. What it has going for it is the ability of can experienced master craftsman, it is in the enviable position of NOT having to meet the needs of most, and can focus on meeting only a specific niche. Different bell thicknesses, different bracing points, different leadpipe designs, can be tried on various custom units produced thereafter.
    The finest acoustic guitars are by necessity the most fragile in order for them to be the most responsive. Likewise with this design....it would be a specialty item tailored only for a few...and these few would well understand the physical limitations and reasonably expected to take better than normal care.

I've given some thought to the bell being copper....but capitalizing on certain aspects of the old Vocabell design concepts (not necessarily for style but function)
    means considering the soft copper used in a rimless application. I would love to do so, as I THINK a copper bell would add warmth of greater complexity of sound to bright and piercing Vocabell nature...giving the best of both worlds, a strong voice with cutting ability eager to resonate quick to light up, but slightly warmer and more complex.
    Rimless though? Yikes, might be beyond what I'd be willing to try...
    Suggestions?
    Lightweight flying buttress type wire bracing coming out to brace the rim at a few points without having a stultifying bead running around the perimeter?

Dunno...except I would LOVE to see the end product be able to easy and cheaply switch from bright piercing cutting laser lead beebopp. to (by changing mouthpiece or weight or unit leadpipe) to dark smoky syrupy balladic...thus making two horns in one. It would be quite a trick.

I say all that because this is supposed to be a jazz trumpet...but jazz encompass such an extraordinary range of sound needs....
    I HAVE given thought to having a removable rim head weight maybe held in place front to back of bell with a series of small neodymium magnets....maybe such a ring made out of black walnut. Black walnut is a great tonewood, indigenous to my area...and gorgeous. It might be a nice material to
    reduce some of the higher overtones when desiring to play something darker.
    Still. I have this thing about a copper bell...
    Maybe make the bell readily removable and provide spares and alternates. A true modular trumpet.
    Maybe the builder could have a nice little cottage business of building replacement SUPER NUOVO bells.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I can see why there would be a carpel tunnel issue here....
    No, my design differs significantly from this, and I think would be MUCH more natural to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Five or even six valve double French horns have thumb levers that operate differentially like this, BTW.