Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    My trombone teacher had a Thein Bass Trombone it was such hard work to empty the water by water key soooooooo
    Thein made a special button operated mechanism to empty the water by just pressing the button

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    If you've got the french-horny bows, why not make the bell a tuneable bell, thus making it replaceable? I think you'd get a lot out of Harrelson's videos if you haven't watched them already.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I like the way you think...

If you would notice, the last sketch that I sent to you (but not publicly here) showed a removable/tuneable bell. Two birds. One is stoned...or something like that.

oh!!!!!

Importantly, with the tuneable bell, I can extend the conical section of leadpipe uninterrupted for another three inches!!!! and actually, the conical section can extend on through what was the main tuning slide, and all the way to the entrance port of the third valve!!!!!! YES!

g

PS...I enjoyed Jason's vids immensely.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    YES! I agree with Ivan!

I would add that the mass and tension of triggers change the playing characteristics of the horn.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Perhaps something along the lines of the Olds Mendez finger lever but instead of using a spring to return make it positive mechanical push-pull? With the vertical architecture of the valve slides I'm working with here it would need to be levered as per the typical flugelhorn...the player's fingers would naturally move 90 degrees to the slide direction of the sleeves here.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gordon,
    you are charting new territory with this design. We don't know where braces OR mass will be needed. Just because some prefer unsprung slides does not make them bad, just not our preference. I have a 4 valved flugel and thus need no trigger.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yep. Uncharted...but that is the territory where I do my best. Always HAS been my nature...professionally, as a product designer, I was always looking ahead for untrodden ground. There are LOTS of folks FAR better at refining an existing design than I, but few that would trump me at willingness and adeptness at breaking new ground.

What is at the future horizon, anyway?
    New ground.

Is new ground refined?
    Nope.
    Not at all.
    Rather, it will be just fresh from rough plowing for the first time. Will still have roots, rocks, debris...but the richest soil. The greatest threats...the greatest rewards.

I figure this trumpet should be tinkered with lots...moving braces, removing braces..adding braces...adding one trigger...and two triggers...removing one trigger...making another leadpipe...making and trying three of four bells....of differing materials, masses...changing tapers...changing even methods of manufacture, if willing.

Current designs have been being refined what...HUNDREDS of years? Of course it would need more refinement than I will ever be able to provide to be optimized...but unless the paradigm is broken...well, the paradigm will never be broken. The next "great thing" will hardly at all resemble the last great thing we have seen...and will NOT be a refinement but a totally new approach.

Similarly to my approach to the trumpet is my work on acoustic guitar. The real reason I accumulated trumpets primarily was an attempt to develop working capital to produce molds and raw materials to produce my guitar concept. I actually got carried away with my (older) passion for brass instruments and need to refocus soon...devoting more energy (of the little I possess) and resources back to the guitar project., because I know there really is leverage there for creating a legacy. The idea I've been developing since 2006 needs to become some sort of reality..even if it is only to have the one I can hold in my arms. But, I know deep in my bones it is for greater than just that.

For everybody?

Nope.

For ONE, at least. The rest would be gravy.

Approaching this essentially as new architecture but using old Vocabell attributes MIGHT get close to something like a recognizable target...but I want something more broadly appealing soundwise....and really wish there was some reasonable way to try a copper bell. Practicality is not a major focus, but even so copper without a bead might be beyond reason. Braces, at the same relative spots as a Vocabell , might be passable...maybe not.

8. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Hi Guys,

Brassbandmajor: no. Gordon came up with his design on his own, and as the universe sometimes works... I had a similar valve-set already made for a flugelhorn. Somewhat Kuhlo inspired... but not. For many reasons, none of which I will go into here.

Everyone else: cool comments, I have promised a more scaled drawing for Gordon, and everyone here. I still like the idea, and there are a lot of things to take into account. Has it been done before? Yes, a dozen times, or a hundred times over. Has it been done the was Gordon has dreamed it up? No... and that's what makes it even more interesting. I think the triggers are all neat, and even a little inspiring... I myself don't use any triggers. I set and forget. I don't use water keys, and I use as little as I can get away with as possible. Chase the dream Gordon!

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    More insight in this quiet comment than most folks may realise at first glance. So I thought it worth repeating. :-)

10. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I caught that, too, but I fear we're wasting our time.

One day, this horn's going to come to life.
    Hopefully sooner rather than later.