Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A Musikhaus in Germany has been working on a double trumpet (Soprano E[SUP]b[/SUP] and mezzo-soprano B[SUP]b[/SUP]) since the 80's. Still no word.

David Monette made a C rotary for Adolph Herseth with the valves about where your design has them. He only made the one.

Not to say that you shouldn't undertake the project, heck, you even might come up with something fantastic, but the odds are at best you will get an interesting looking trumpet that maybe kinda sorta plays. At worst, you'll still have a unique instrument that might end up sealed away in a major collection in a hundred years or so.

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oh, no doubt.
    A proper instrument takes development. I would never be able to invest development in this...but, in terms of the interface of the form to the player, the ergonomics, the adaptability to playing with either hand...heck...even the ability to totally replace either the complete valveset or tubing assembly.
    Even if never built, perhaps the thinking might lead to some other innovation.

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I'm working on a rotary trumpet design too!
    NICE TRUMPET I LOVE TARV ROTARY TRUMPETS !!!
    Mine has Octave keys and various stuff

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I anneal silver,copper and brass to a just visible red heat, soft enough to work. My recent kranz for a bell in nickle silver required 27 anealings before it got to shape, the nickle silver work hardened so quickly.

If you want a left handed trumpet I would start with an Olds Pinto, only need to assemble with the leadpipe and bell swapped sides, only braces need to be changed on bell. I will look if I can find mine and see.

I have a 5 valve horn set with all valve slides, a copy of an Alexander 102ST compensating horn on my bench for 3 years waiting for an inspiration, wont be soon until I reassemble the 5 horns I have in pieces.

Regards, Stuart.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    If you have a successful octave key for a trumpet you will make a fortune, the world is waiting for it.

When you complete your design I will build it for you if it is at all feasible.

Regards, Stuart.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Thank you stumac :D
    BTW Gordon where are you going to get your top action rotary valve block from?
    zirnbauer?? Voigt???

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    This is a very interesting concept which marries the piston "Jazz" trumpet to the rotary "Concert" trumpet. The major difference to normal procedure is that this idea places a full lead pipe and tuning slide before the valve section like our regular piston trumpets, rather than having a short lead pipe entering the valve section.

8. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I did not measure the 40A, but Mr. Ivan stated in another thread the valves are about nine thou larger, I've see it posted elsewhere the 40 s are both 0.468 and the valve blocks are the same for the cornet and trumpet versions.

The easiest way to tell is to put some callipers to the second valve casing ports.

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Hearing YOU say that it is interesting makes my year!

10. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I like it! I'm glad Ivan chimed in... I immediately thought of him when I saw this thread.

I bet between the two of you guys, you could make something work. I say go for it!

Kujo