Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    George, Do you draw using 2d Cad or 3d?

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    When did I say that?
    Plus the Amati flugelhorn valve blocks were made by a pirate horn maker.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I just enjoyed my first (hour and a half! Poor George) talk with George.
    What a nice and creative fellow!

I am honored that he'd bother to chat with me. I learned a great deal, and he shared some of his own genesis and ideas.

It is amazing when such a "left-field" idea as mine finds positive reception and encouragement...and a builder with the open-mindedness, knowledge, and access to needed specialty components easily at hand.

Can't wait to see this develop...sort of like it was "cosmically intended to be", if you get my drift.

It is the opposite of "everybody's Yamaha...", it is a specialty item designed for it's own niche...and that is gratifying.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    I played one of these for a few years:

Stoner Brass/New York Trumpet Company Stage 1/Stage 1Magnum Copper

Beadless copper bell, sleeved leadpipe -- it was like the modern incarnation of the Vocabell. It was a great horn, but when my playing moved from big band section and solo playing to the lead chair I found that I wanted a more traditional projection pattern. I absolutely would have held onto the Magnum to play when it was appropriate, but a local college student majoring in jazz studies had his trumpet and flugelhorn stolen. I invited him over, put him in my practice room with the Magnum, a Selmer K-Modified 25X, and an Olds Recording, and told him to choose his favorite -- the price would be whatever he could afford.

He chose the Magnum, used it as he earned his MA, and still plays it as a local school band director. It's one horn I don't regret letting go.

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Two questions: where is this thread going?

Two: gordonfurr, where did you get that wonderful paddo's?

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    What a cool horn.
    Say, I've been concerned about using copper in a rimless fashion...thinking it would be perilously soft...did you have a concern or issue about that?
    And, what a nice gesture to help the young music major along! A major investment you made in that career. Thank you!

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    1. I plan to comment whenever a development occurs with this project, or an interesting thought or issue occurs. Right now it is in the capable hands of George Schlub and unless I eat a bad pizza before sleep and have an epiphanal dream wherein some dramatic new twist develops he has the idea as best I could express it. I am excited to see what he does. I find it amazing that he is so open to something new, actually JUMPING onto a new idea with the joy of discovery and excitement in creation. He has made this so much fun and so gratifying. If anyone has a dream they wish to be built, by a soul who thrives on the new...I've found the man...or rather, he found me. George is approachable, uplifting, fun, intrigued with life, a prankster, affable, and a most talented builder.
    2. Paddo? I guess you are referring to my avatar, the Furby?

9. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Be worth contacting Mike Del Quadro. He does a lot of work with copper bells.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thank you, Ivan. Great suggestion. I'll message him.