Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, there are compelling reasons for a TARV in my personal view:
    The precision of the rotary valve
    The light action of the linkage/valve
    The low maintenance of a rotary valve
    The long leadpipe
    Being able to play/hold the horn with one hand
    The more even tube inner diameter through the valve cluster

These are all performance options. As far as the blow, sound and intonation goes, that is a detail issue that is not solved on the drawing board. Most horn projects that I have been involved with get light bracing and the rest are determined by experimentation. As far as ergonomics go, I have been careful with criticism as this is someone elses dream. It is an interesting study in community design recommendations.

Brek is a technician and simply asked a question about the motivation to build a horn like this as a TARV. Looking at his own accomplishments (some of which are documented here at TrumpetMaster), I am sure that he is not challenging the project.......

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that this is a Bb trumpet. I think that it is in d.
    Here is a thread with a lot of inspiration in this direction:
    Kurt Scherzer Rotary D - View topic: Trumpet Herald forum
    Here as a picc:
    [​IMG]

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Encouraging posts!
    I was wondering if more than two folks were watching.
    There is a huge amount of personal effort being expended...well, it seems huge to me as pretty much all my spare time is consumed, and has effectively stopped my original pursuit of the guitar project that I need to complete before I am no longer able.. I got intrigued, and excited.
    The earlier, vertically aligned slide versions are essentially a distinct thing on their own. Whether highly dressed or plain Jane it is a distinct variation fromvthisxlatter super-compact design. Perhaps a version of both should be built. The earlier version is much more straight-forward in terms of architecture, but would be vulnerable to damage. It is certainly jot a mainstream instrument, but is not intended to be.
    The latter is less prone to to damage to the valve casings but would also be a challenge to build. Again, not a mainstream instrument nor intended to be so.
    These are statement pieces. But not JUST statements... I hope these incite thought...joy, intrigue, but more importantly, great music.
    We will see.
    But soon I will have to spend less time on this project and more on my guitar project.
    Thank you all for looking and sharing!

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Why? There is no good reason.

There's been a little paradigm shift in TM recently. Not so long ago, and for understandable reasons, we tended to downplay the individuality of particular instruments in favour of personal individuality. "Whatever I play, I sound like me" was the consensus position, and this little pretence helped avoid a certain amount of tribal bickering amongst the various brand loyalist factions.

We seem to be maturing and that is to be applauded. Yes, okay we still occasionally get some of those ridiculous XXX vs YYY threads, but more and more voices are celebrating the diversity available to us if we take off the blinkers of bigotry and celebrate each instrument for it's own individual palette. It isn't XXX VS YYY, it is XXX AND YYY.

So well done (doing?) to Gordon! Frankly, I'm not that interested in little niggles here and there over the design details. I'm sure George will ensure that the final product is playable. But even if it had the intonation of highland bagpipes, it will be DIFFERENT. And difference gives us more options, and more options increases our quality of life.

Simples.

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I would almost think I had been visited upon by the spectre of Mr. Scherzer after seeing this photo posted of his trumpet!
    I don't feel as if my ideas are as outlandish now. I must try harder, then. Thank you, all.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

I tried to resist, but cannot.

That....is simply "TARVelous"!!!!!

8. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    If you hadn't seen these before, I certainly think you're onto something since you're going a direction *near* the beaten path, yet not directly on it...

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    No, I don't recall seeing these...surprising since I look at so much. Perhaps it was embedded deep in an old visual memory and slowly, as I gradually peeled away obfuscating layers, there it remained exposed! Like someone once said about a sculpture..."I just remove anything that isn't the subject..." (terribly paraphrased).

It isn't a BEATEN path...certainly not paved nor on most popular maps...but apparently there HAS been a foot trail flagged for the next through the high mountain pass. I DO live in the base city of Daniel Boone from when this was a frontier town...and I HAVE known a descendent or two of the famous fellow and visited his cave at the river.

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    SCHLUB 18....

I just realized that I likely have an interference problem with the third slide and the bell throat. Just great. Why is it IMMEDIATELY after you spend an hour colorizing a drawing that you notice such? Why? WHY!!! Because even so, it is better than discovering it in brass.

NONETHELESS...
    Here is SCHLUB version 18.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]