Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I need one of them.

Regards, Stuart.

3. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
  4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    I thought that 11 mm or just a little bit more (11.2 mm) is quite a normal bore for a rotary.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes it is, but not for a piston "Jazz trumpet". These are normally 0.459" (11,7mm).

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The tight wrap will probably spoil your fun. Basically the bore size increases greatly at the tight wraps. The bell bow is not the best place for that (been there, done that). I have played several rotary trumpets with the standard piston proportions. They all played like piston valved instruments. Generally you lose everything that makes the rotary special/different.

On another note, there is often the claim that rotary valves are more "precise". I do not believe this to be true for playing(AC component) rather only for the DC component. Our fingers can move piston valves more than fast enough for absolute precision. We shouldn't forget that it takes a bit of time for the standing wave to stabilize regardless of the valve design and that determines the characteristic sound.

My suggestion if you are set on rotary valves, would be to look at the Ganschhorn or Schlubs version and leave the Vocabell as it is. The tight wrap is a risk that I would not take.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Easy enough. Build a loop at the bell tail mimicking the third slide loop, or a shepherd's crook.
    I have a motor control issue with my right hand, and would find more adjustability in the amount of lever and range of motion with paddles than with pistons. Are rotaries quicker on the change? Certainly may be. Does everyone need the added speed? No. Do I? Probably. I CAN move my right hand, but the movement IS slower than normal...So any time made up by quicker mechanical action would be more likely to translate to being able to maintain a quicker pace. Not only that, but the EXTENT of motion is limited for me. The piston trumpet I've had with the shortest throw was my old Beuscher 205, and that can be beaten with propitious leveraging using rotaries.
    One last thing,
    I've had a number of both rotary valved instruments AND piston valves instruments. In all that time I've NEVER had a rotary valve stick. And even with more maintenance I've have many piston valves stick.
    So,
    I say, why not give it a try.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I like how the bracing also serves as the left hand hold. Elegant simplicity in that.

On my sketch, I intended the player's static hand (the one not actuating the valves) to wrap around the vertical valve slide tubes. I AM concerned about my shown positions of the first and third tuning slide triggers being in the way of the static hand...but could be moved further aside.

I do like the visual interest generated by the long narrow appearance, and I do also like the mass of the valves being basically between the player's palms instead of below as this marketed version. I also like the connector shafts being shorter with the rotary valves being higher.

Also, though not strictly necessary, the ability to easily reverse the hand of play would be useful for me, since some days my right hand works at about 70%...other days at 20%. When playing left-handed, I REALLY find the use of paddle actuation far more natural than piston...especially in that plane...being a horn player by training.

9. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    does that mean you'll put the leadpipe into the valves first?

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    No...