Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The technology is out there, all it needs is configuration to adapt to your needs. Long ago I used very small solenoids to control my radio controlled airplanes. Too, I then used magnetic repulsion. (I didn't say propulsion).

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yes, I've seen solenoid actuated trumpets before...but I was thinking about the fingering being completely robotic...and driven by software such as a player piano is driven by the holes punched in the old paper rolls...

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I AM SO SERIOUS about getting this right that I would chop off my one good arm for the project. Besides, it's only a game until a little blood is involved.
    Here, I revised the forearm orientation to be more accurate regarding the holding of the trumpet in the left hand.

[​IMG]

gunshowtickets likes this.
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Almost, but not quite, the death grip most of us use.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Rigor Mortis at this point. No additional effort required.
    For some reason my hand looks huge. It's to scale, so this must be a piccolo trumpet...or my hand swelled after the amputation...but how?

And this proves it is not an animatronic limb.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You may want to try putting some rings on a block of wood with about the same proportions and weight to test the load on your fingers...............

7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Maybe just a rounded piece of bar stock that would attach with the rings and rest on the palm, saving your fingers.

We can do synthetic lips, too.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Yes...it would be easy to add an area (an alternate material) a small machined piece of black walnut bonded with epoxy to each ring to mount...something can be done, but probably best to do after the rest is built as it would affect harmonics. Making it ergonomic is easy. Wood can have WONDERFUL acoustic properties, we know.
    And didn't some Hollywood actresses do some lip stuff with synthetic materials? Didn't work out quite like planned.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Put the brass knuckles on that side as a grip. 30 pages is pretty hard core man! Cool!

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Now, I play a heavy double horn...easily twice or three times the weight of the trumpet, and the left hand is supporting (depending on how hard the right hand is jammed into the bell) HALF of that weight on the one little left hand pinky.

Yes, sometimes folks add a paddle above the hand to assist, but I've personally never seen or used one with such.

So...you are surely not going to tell me that dorky old nerdy horn players are TOUGHER than the TRUMPET PLAYERS? Is THAT what you are telling me? (insert grinning emoticon here)
    Surely I misread the concern.

Nonetheless, I have alternatives in mind. Easy to assuage. I would not worry about that at THIS point.