Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Wearing a set on my left hand right now as I type with my right hand. Pretty heavy things. But yeah...

Thirty pages? Wow, didn't know. But, this is a long project with a lot of thought and discussion flying about. How often do we get to see the inner workings of a new trumpet being built to such detail?

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am currently revising the drawing substantially AGAIN after starting the plan view...the interference between the bell throat and main slide is now clearly an issue.
    To resolve, I am changing my beloved main tuning slide loop from laying vertically inclined to horizontally. This will provide the needed clearance from the widening bell throat, and still look appealing.
    So...once again, another drawing is in process.
    If I had the 3D software (and became familiar with it) I could more easily create 3d entities. I was imagining last night a drawing software that had a tool called a" snake" that acted sort of like a block, but remained contiguous even while adjusting the length, "bore", vertebrae frewuency, vertebrae outline....
    So, what one could easily then do is have your typical profile with conical areas, cylindrical areas, and the bores indicated by what looks somewhat like a vertebrae at even spacing along that length...then BEND the booger around however you wish, and find suitable geometries. Hmm...a trumpet design app.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Seems you already had the four pints of rum before starting to draw... ROFL

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    TONIGHT'S SHOW...

Close to being done with plan view and changes as a result.
    I love the side elevation!
    I made the leadpipe center up horizontally with the center of the bell...THAT would be a neat feeling!
    I have not shown the left hand hand-hold rings yet..

I think it is very close to LOOKING RIGHT.

COMPOUND VIEWS WITH BACH STRAD SHOWN TO SCALE FOR COMPARISON

[​IMG]
    PLAN VIEW NOTE CENTER OF LEADPIPE IS ALSO CENTER OF BELL

[​IMG]

LEFT SIDE ELEVATION

[​IMG]

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Fifths, actually.
    Fifths.
    This IS musically related, after all...at least PARTIALly.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Something to consider, and something that I use for all my beginner (piston trumpet) students:
    Do not HOLD the trumpet. Let it sit in your left hand. The holding rings you have sketched suggest that you will be gripping the weight of the trumpet in your finger and thumb, which will introduce much stress.

Also you have drawn your hand with a bent back wrist. This position is one of the worst stresses you can put on your body - think carpal tunnel syndrome.

7. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Good point, but right now it looks like the arm has more pressing matters to deal with!

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I'm not overly concerned right now with the details of the left hand grip as that is exterior to the trumpet and easily revised after everything else is done...as a matter of fact it will HAVE to be finish-developed after the horn is otherwise functional as the mass and attachment affects the performance and many things will have to be tried first empirically before that is finalized. That is the easy part of the deal. Just the general idea is intended at this point for that. It can be managed and in such a way as to be superior to what we typically have now, I am convinced.

Right now I am more concerned that I have the compact architecture arranged so that things don't hit each other while at the same time making the instrument as volumetrically compact as I can and maintaining the visual theme and impact desired. I've managed to remove a lot of unnecessary bends and convolutions that not only would have some potential effect on acoustics, but that also made the fabrication much more difficult and time consuming unnecessarily. As it looks now to my eye, the general form is interesting, pleasing, engaging. The otherwise lovely Stradivarius trumpet shown in last night's compare looks rather ordinary to my prejudiced eye relatively. But, a proud daddy raves.

Tomorrow I'll be adjusting relative pipe lengths to get as near to the proportions I THINK I want for the cylindrical/conical segments...

Until then..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Are the rings on the slides for holding and tuning, or just for holding?

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    As sketched, both...with the fingertips of index and third fingers providing reference and anchor against valve housing.