Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    REVISED minimizing tightness of bell bow..Tight bows could actually be machined to maintain exact bore as per Harrelson's optional main tuning slide being CNC'd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Any chance of a plan view, Gordon?

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Well, since you asked.
    I wish that I had come around when 3d CAD was easily and cheaply available for private use...kind long in the tooth for learning now...after a half century nearly of rendering in 2d. At least in my mind the 2d views easily infer the 3d structure.
    I have used 3d architectural software for several years, but inventor stuff? No.
    I'll work on a plan view, after I get more satisfied with the right elevation.
    Thanks for taking the time to look.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    If it comes down to it, do you have enough slides you could graft on the bows to tuning slide and bell?

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I was questioningly looking at one of those "mini" French horns in Bb...has most of the parts ready-made in one package for $285 in my choice of colors. I do not know what bore these are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Engravi...474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cfa5d9002

THIS Jean Baptiste is a .354" bore (!!!!!!!!!)...compared to the Vocabell 40b trumpet being .459" THAT will NOT work if the bore size listed is accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/Jean-Baptiste-FH742L-Junior-French/dp/B004P1VE6O

Now....THIS one WOULD work with a .459" bore...but happens to be a double horn. I am sure there are singles in this size if there is a double...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Gold-lacquer-4-Key-Double-French_860165683.html

AND here IS a single with the .459" bore...

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Single-French-Horn-Bb-French-Horn_1636044467.html

________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, for the state of the art...here are a few pics of the schagerl rotary trumpet...notice the actuation mechanism...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to make the volume needed for the mechanism more compact, and all the mechanism be mounted on the valve "block"...

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Talking about your right hand, someone here talked about small servo motors to actuate the rotary's on a tuba maybe you could look into that and then all you would need is some touch pads. Just a thought

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I think I was involved in the conversation. Yes, and actually I thought about that conversation some while working on this drawing...The touch pads could be mounted ANYWHERE convenient, too...in any orientation. Being a French horn player, I find it much easier to finger without having to think about it if the fingering is done about where the fingers would be on the French horn player's left hand. Odd..that orientation makes that much difference. Thanks for commenting.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    That was the beauty of picking the horn back up, after struggling for a long time fingering with my left hand on a guitar it was still second nature with the trumpet

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    French horn valve slides!!! There's genius in your madness!! ;-)

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Why not forget the fancy bell bow and tuning slide and just wrap it like a flugelhorn? Would save time and money, and might make for a better horn, though you might need some different bracing.