Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Maybe, but it appeals to me visually. This started in the flavor of a peashooter...and I was maintaining that cue.
    Shoot, how am I going to build it anyway?

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Here was the inspiration for that main slide shape...I've had a number of these Italian horns and like the look. Check out the first valve slide loop. That's the one.

Vintage Elkhorn French Horn by Getzen Made in Italy | eBay

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I gigged a few times with the Bass Trombonist for the Radio Symphony Baden-Baden. He had such a crook made for one of the slides on his Bach bass trombone. He told me it was his third Bach, but he kept using the same slide. (I think it was a Bach 50B3.)

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I like the look of it. Vertically compressing the wrap is very interesting. I think it'd look really cool on a bone provided it didn't get in the slot of the next to the last position.

Oh no...

You just gave me another idea...a PEA-BONE...
    A peashooter trombone...with such a loop at each end of the instrument...and the wrap height only about four inches in between. So cool. But I am crazy. But crazy cool.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    BTW Seth of Lagos, per your suggestion I have started creating a plan view...but you are forcing me to think really hard (read "creatively") about the details of an actual linkage...instead of just suggesting such.

The Schergle (sp) linkage is spidery and unnatural looking to me (but incredibly well made), but not what I had in mind...I'll try and come up with something far simpler and more compact, and with the ability to vary the stroke/leverage of the paddles.

I LIKE paddles as opposed to buttons atop the linkages...though I always thought the paddles ought to have a hole drilled right in the center of the finger pad location...said hole being about 1/8th". Rotary valves just OUGHT to be operated with paddles instead of buttons.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Then forget the valves and make it a slide trumpet!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I guess I wasn't clear. Sorry. It was one of his valve slides.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Sorry, Gordon. Might be the 10,001st mechanical GA drawing I've had for review so force of habit :-)

I guess I'd visualise the problem as one of mating a push-rod rocker assembly to crank con rods. Somewhere along the line you have to match the throw on your 'big end' to the travel on your 'tappet'. I agree that paddles should give you more design flexibility than buttons. Not sure about the drilled finger pads though - sounds like a recipe for calluses.

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    A very common mod for hornists is to solder old solid silver Mercury head dimes onto the fingerpad spots on the paddles,,,provides a sort of tactile centering and non-slip aid. Most paddles are simply flat....ideally should have a very shallow depression that your pad could engage...the little hole should be filleted-radiused so as to not be abrasive, but mark the exact center of the pad area. It would be a comforting touch.
    Calluses? Already have them anyway from guitar.
    Thanks for reading!

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Not to mention the dimes look cool