Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Here you go Gordon: [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ahhhhhh!!!!!!

Yes, I have seen rotaries arranged thusly to minimize horizontal spread, but I had forgotten.
    Yes, Yes. Yes. I was concerned about a player being able to wrap his hand around the slides....this helps greatly. I thank you!

Want to buy one of these perhaps built by Jaeger Brass if we can convince them to do it?

3. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Well this particular design was made for me, and my company. I am sure Ivan can find something similar.

4. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    This shows a similar valve block design, but with the flugelhorn bell. Also utilizes the short leadpipe going into the 3rd valve. For the longer "french" style arrangement (your original design) one could do it exactly the same as your picture, or small changes similar to the early cornets of the mid 1800's from the Boston area. In a couple of weeks, I hope to be spending time with a collector, and working some modern versions of those classical American designs. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Sorry... It should be noted that the valve block design you have drawn... the third valve slide will extend approx 5 inches below the rotary valve. FYI And I should say that the above valve block was designed, and made by me... where the triangular valve block was designed by me, but made by the best valvemaker in the world (and my teacher) in Munich, only two of those blocks have been produced.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    George, you are a wizard - Dreams to Reality.

It is why I consider you to be the Best Custom Rotary horn maker out there.

7. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks Peter... I really appreciate that. I owe most of it to those that have gone before me, and the rest to guys like you (and others out there on the forums that dream to).

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    We will all love to see and follow!

9. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    The flugelhorn plays great. Practically plays itself, the valve block design (similar to yours) is easy to hold, easy to use the 3rd valve slide. It works well, but the dimensions are slightly ungainly. One of these days, when I get a break, I'll continue on the French TARV. For now, I am still catching up on German TARV's, and Flugels. Gordon, your pictures is now hanging on the wall of my shop.

10. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA