Rotary trumpet idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Will you adopt me?

2. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    I hate to tell you this Gordon,
    That picture is 5 years old, and the collection of personal instruments has grown to over 100 (including instruments from the mid-1800's). Not to mention that there are almost 200 of my instruments being played all over the world right now. If the Trumpet shop ever moves back to Ohio, I'll have a guest room next to the workshop: you will be invited. Here in Singapore, I have had a few trumpet players visit the country just to sleep in the machine shop, and build a horn together.

3. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    I hope you do move back. I can drive to Ohio. Honored to have met you (at least digitally). What prompted the move to Singapore, if you don't mind my asking?

4. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Not at all. I moved here for love. My wife lived here (had a very good job) and could not leave without leaving everything. I was a Police Lieutenant at the time, and I could leave and save my pension. Here, I am in music. I am the son of a violin maker: music has always been in my life. I have worked 30 years next to my dad. More, because now there is a tiny trumpet shop in his basement next to his tiny retirement shop in Ohio. This is the kind of work you can do till you drop dead over the bench. That is what I plan on doing. I also work on bicycles, and recumbent trikes. In a couple of weeks, I'll be in Ohio trying to sign up for so pistol compositions, and fishing.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Several years ago during a stopover in Singapore on returning from Europe I spent a morning with George discussing trumpet design and watching him adjust Jon Dante's trumpet. I think I was instrumental in getting one of George's horns in the hands of my friend and member Peter McNeill, "The Dingo".

Regards, Stuart.

6. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Yes Stuart, I believe you are correct. You should stop again if you have time.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Have you made any f or eb alto trumpets, tk103?

8. tk1031

tk1031 Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2010
    Yes I have, F/Eb alto trumpet. I think if I was to do it again, I would skip it and go straight to the Bb Bass trumpet instead. But that is what the customer asked for.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I would love to come and build a trumpet with you, I would happily sleep on the machine shop floor. Perhaps one day. I have a few ideas what I would like.

Regards, Stuart.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hey George,
    Check your Inventory carefully, you won't get Stuart off the tools - he'll be making horns all night long...

Cheers