Rotary trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Hey, does anybody out there play rotary trumpets in a jazz setting. I'm looking at getting an old Stowasser Bb rotary and I was just wondering how good they play??

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I can't resist--the Stowasser is good enough for jazz!

Seriously, it depends upon the setting--rotaries do have the ability to get a warm, fuzzy, flugel horn, and can light up the room. Doing both with the same mouthpiece is very hard, however.

Have fun!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My dad played a rotary flugel for years. Wish he still had it. Was a way cool horn. Don't see why a rotary trumpet wouldn't work. If it doesn't, you could play dances and polka's at the, drum roll please, Rotary club! ROFL

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I figured that it would be good seeing as Claudio Roditi almost plays exclusively on a rotary. Does anybody know anything about Stowasser? Are the junk horns or are they legitamate?
    Thanks for the replies!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Stowasser builds "decent" instruments but not spectacular instruments. I wouldn't consider them junk.

Jazz is in the soul of the player, not the valves of the horn. Rotary trumpets behave acoustically differently than their piston counterparts. It could make additional colors available to the accomplished player.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I agree with rowuk and would go even further:
    Valves are the soul of the horn!

Chuck Ward, who used to be designer for UMI, and should be remembered for the Conn Vintage One, told me of an experiment they once conducted with some "very fine players in Cleveland". They assembled a trumpet using a Bach valve cluster and Benge lead pipe and bell. The players noted that it played like a Bach. They reversed the exercise with Benge valves and Bach lead pipe and bell - it played like a Benge. In other words, they said that the characteristic feel of the instrument was determined by the valve cluster.
    Conclusion: Valves are the soul of the horn!

7. dal signo

dal signo New Friend

Sep 22, 2010
    Gulfport, MS
    A good trumpet is a good trumpet - piston or rotary - don't know the brand, but see if you can try it and see if it swings for you - will certainly turn heads!

8. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Yeah, I'm still waiting for a reply from the guy I might be buying from. I did some research on Stowasser and they don't seem too bad...might be just a fun horn to have in the collection!
    Anybody out there actually own and play a rotary?

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I do. Bb, C, and picc.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I do. 2x Bb, C, Eb, F, G, Picc, Flugel, Kuhlo Horn, and low F/F# as well as Tenor horn and tuba.