rotary valve trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by buccinator, Jan 10, 2006.

1. buccinator

buccinator Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Hi friends...
    this is buccinator from Germany.

Does anyone of you know really good Rotary Valve Trumpets ( like the German Trumpets ), which are produced in the States...???

Never heard about good Rotary-Trumpets from America ( sorry :-( ) Even CSO brass-section has trumpets in use, that come from Germany or Austria.

all the best, buccinator

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Kanstul makes rotary trumpets that are pretty good
    Bach makes a C that I wasn't thrilled with and is really expensive
    I don't know whether the Yamahas are made in Grand Rapids MI or in Japan

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Not all Bach rotary trumpets are bad, I got to try one that played pretty well a few months back at the Atlanta trumpet festival. It played better than the two Monkes that Rich Ita had there for sale.

4. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i didnt mean to say or intended to say that the Bach rotary trumpet was bad. The one i tried when they first came out at Midwast didn't impress me that much. I dont remember how it didnt inpress me other then intonation seemed to be pretty questionable. They may have been changed or improved over the past 10 or so years.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    That is ok, I was not trying to jump on what you said, it is just that everyone has such a bad impression of the Bach rotary trumpets so I thought I would put in a good word for them since the one I tried played so well.

I will add that the one I did try seemed to have had a brace moved, so maybe that helped it out somehow.

6. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    I have the aforementioned Bach rotary C...I quite like it. I (finally) got a real mouthpiece for it, a Josef Klier, and its gorgeous. I need an excuse to play it in public...though I still have a little more getting used to it. But it plays quite well...better IMO than the Monkes Rich Ita had at the Atlanta Trumpet festival. Good enough that I might consider asking our conductor to program Mozart...! :D

Stuart

7. buccinator

buccinator Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany
    hey tpetplyr...

that's good and funny.
    You probably use to play the same mouthpiece on rotaries like me...the FANTASTIC Josef Klier Exclusive Series ( the one I play is a # 4 B ) I like it very much on my Bb-Trumpet ( Ricco Kühn T 053 ). It produces an enormous sound with great projection and is pretty good in tune.---- I don't LIKE this combination ( trumpet AND mouthpiece ) --- I really LOVE it !!!!!!!!!!

all the best for the future !!!

buccinator

8. BFlinch83

BFlinch83 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hetman used to make rotary trumpets that were used in the NY Philharmonic section. There are a few floating around out there. Very good horns made in New Jersey.

9. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    I had no idea they were made in Jersey!!! :shock:

As for the Yamahas, the Bb and C are both very fine horns. Both are assembled
    in Grand Rapids. They come disassembled from Japan (less duty...if any...to
    pay on a box of parts than on a complete instrument). The Kanstuls are also
    very fine horns. I have a C and I love playing it whenever I can.

Paul

10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Bach Rotary C

When I was looking for a Rotary C I was fortunate to be able to try the Bach Rotary, a Ganter, a Yamaha and a Lechner.

I was able to spend about 3 weeks with these horns and I ended up liking the Bach better by far.

Tone on the Lechner was good but craftsmanship poor.
    Yamaha was the opposite.
    The Ganter was excellent but the sound was not what I was looking for.

The Bach had great craftsmanship and sound as well as good intonation to boot.

I will say that the mouthpiece selection is critical. Finding a good balance between the mp and the horn is crucial to getting a good result.

I ended up using a Breslmair G-1 for most things.

As for performance opportunities....

1. Great horn for Bach chorales in church
    2. Makes a good tonal blend in quintet

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida