rotary vs piston

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think the valve type (piston vs. rotary) has very little to do with the tone of an instrument. It's just a passageway for air and sound waves, and they don't know what type of mechanism surrounds that hole. The overall design of the instrument and the mouthpiece used have much more to do with the tone. In fact, many rotary trumpets have features in common with the flugelhorn - small bore, short leadpipe, wrap, etc.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, no, no. Why post when you have no idea?

A rotary trumpet can be as many different things as a standard piston trumpet. They can also be VERY similar.

There are several traditional schools for rotary trumpets:
    North German like Thein
    Cologne like Monke
    Leipzig/Dresden like Heckel, Ricco Kühn
    South German like Dowids, Ganther, Scherzer
    Vienna like Schagerl and Lechner

One thing is very different from the piston instruments: The german trumpet is NOT designed to have a consistent sound in the low, mid and high register and has much more "color" between soft and loud.

I am convinced that the german composers created their music with this in mind. Mahler, Strauss, Wagner and Brückner really come to life when played on these horns.

Please, like any other thing in life: generalities do NOT help us understand anything. Only the American marketing people have made Teutonic= dark. The traditional german player rejoices in the expanse of sounds possible, many do not like the piston trumpet as it sounds "sterile" when used for "their" music.

3. jerec576

jerec576 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    Perhaps I should have done a bit more homework to look for rotary valve trumpet players. I have only listened to few and im well aware theres a huge variety for them.

I even mentioned a disclalimer earlier about my knowledge of this family of trumpets

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.

Why did you bring this old thread back to life?
    Why not start a new one?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jerec, if you don't know something, then don't post garbage. Ask a question and then you get increasingly informed.

Every meaningless post just makes the threads longer and harder to read and research.

It also gives many of us with lots more experience a picture of you that is not positive.

We have many qualified moderators and artists here to help. Use that help. It will make you better, and better liked.

6. rspargo

rspargo New Friend

Jul 15, 2009
    Rhode Island
    here is some info on the subject taken from a couple articles I have read:....."IT should be remembered that the rotary valve trumpet is a completely different instrument in virtually every respect to the piston valve instrument. The instrument naturally produces a more tapered attack or decay of each tone and allows a more fluid, lagato, or vaocal tonal production which is ideal for romantic music of a lyrical nature. The rounded edges of the beginning and end of each tone allow better llending with the other brass sections of the orchestra in chordal passages such as are found in Bruckner; they also permit the natural trumpet parts of the classicl an early romantic literature to be played at a full volume with sticking out of the orchestral texture."

Rotary trumpet have long been the choice in Europe due to the mellow sound and lending ability with the rest of the brass section. There is a seemless thread that ties all the brass together from the lowest to highest sounding instruments. A better blend with all instruments.

I play the rotary valve trumpets and the feel and ease of playing is magical. This is part is due to the horn being more cylindrical. There is a great sense of lyricism even when playing jazz/dixieland etc.