round midnight miles davis version

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by yugga, Apr 19, 2017.

1. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    someone needs more music education. The tune should be in F minor (transposed for B flat trumpet), but they attempted to put it in F major. Rubbish.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It looks like a Transcription for beginner players, with the fingerings above each note.

It plays OK, probably to be done in an ensemble.

4. pss

pss Piano User

Jun 14, 2016
    Luxembourg
    The transposition was probably done using Musescore's transposition feature, the result is not always the best. Not being at ease with transposing on the fly (yet, wishful thinking) I use it frequently during rehearsals when out of nowhere someone decides to change the key of a tune or the usual singer is absent and the replacement sings it in a different key. Musescore get's the job done quickly, but afterwards I need to work a bit on it and print the score. (btw, I use the portable and offline versions on a tablet)

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    There are plenty of printed B flat version real books and even free sheets of that tune...I just don't get it.

6. yugga

yugga Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2015
    thank you so e flat minor concert if I want my friend to accompany on piano. I have lots to learn. trying to learn music theory and the trumpet inbetween babies with a full time job is hard! thank God for silent brass. wish I'd learnt music growing up! still every bit of progress is rewarding!

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
  8. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    No business putting this chart in front of a player so inexperienced they need the conventional fingerings marked.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Let's not be so condescending. Incentive can trump skill level. It all goes into growth.

10. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    No, really, a player probably should know how to finger every pitch in and below the staff before attempting to play a bebop chart that goes up to high C. That's part of the standard pedagogy. Building proper technique and strength takes time. While the new student is building strength and technique, they can play pieces that don't require the higher end of the range. Trying to play high before proper embouchure, breathing, and support is ingrained spawns another generation of mouthpiece mashers.