rounded tuning slide

Discussion in 'Horns' started by yaynor, Dec 14, 2003.

1. yaynor

yaynor New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    HI
    Can any one advise me the advantages, if any, to the Bach rounded tuning slide?
    Thanks
    Jerry

2. No BS

No BS New Friend

Nov 2, 2003
    They suck...want to buy mine?

3. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    They'll make the horn seem freer blowing, but the slotting will be a little less secure. They're not very expensive. Try one if you'd like a freer blowing horn.

Dave

4. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    I can't comment on the Bachs, but I'm having one made for my Getzen for $75. Why did I mention this? I have heard many people quote a price in the $150 range, but you can do better.

Be well.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I had the same question posted on trumpetplayeronline.com didnt get much a response over there, hope more people answer here. I see free blowing, less slotting, but heres my question, high e above the staff is basiclly the hardest note to play on my bach 180s ML 37, how will this slide affect that note?

6. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    you ask a direct question that no one can answer.
    how in the world can someone tell you over the internet how YOUR note will be affected?
    buy the slide, put it on your horn and find out for yourself.
    or not.

7. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I can give you a general impression, but like James said, you may have to try it for yourself.
    What I find with my rounded tuning slide: It does open up the horn, makes the slots more "slippery" and lets you put more air through. Is that good?

It all depends on what you want to feel. Personally I like the regular tuning slide for lead playing, as it slots better above high C.
    But, there are other things that contribute to slotting (gap, backbore, etc).

Sorry to be so vague, but there is no cut and dried answer.

Mike

8. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Finger the E above high C with 1-2 and see if that doesn't make it easier. Many horns play that note really flat when played open (my old Yamaha Z, for instance) so that getting the pitch up with the alternative fingering will make it resonate more freely and make it easier to sound. Also, playing the D just above high C is easier when played open on horns that tend to play that note flat.

If your other notes around the E are ok, then the slide will probably NOT help you with the E. Changing the slide is going to change the feel everywhere.

Dave

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Thanks everybody for the responses, I tried the alternate fingering and it seems to be working.. :D...I also apologize for my ignorance..

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    It's nice to know when we occasionally get one right. Thanks for reporting your results. ;-)

Dave