Roundest mouth piece available??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ca5tr0, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    I really need help with this...
    I am a trumpet player in college and I have not found a mouthpiece ideal for me. I have tried 8 different mouthpieces and I am really tired of buying them. I need a mouthpiece with a shallow cup, big backbore, the most possible roundness available, and a rim that is not too thin. If it doesn't meet the big backbore quality, it's okay, I can always bore it out as I have done with my current mouth piece.
    I currently play on a Schilke 14a4 that has been bored out once. It is way too flat for my taste and it causes me to wear out easily because it is uncomfortable.
    I need suggestions on mouth pieces that are VERY ROUND and not TOO DEEP. Something with an A or B cup. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I'm not sure what "very round" means. Are you talking about the cross section of the rim?

With those requirements it sounds like you need to check out multi-piece mouthpieces like Warburton. I'm not familiar with their specific offerings, but outside of a custom job I'm sure you've found that a shallow cup with a big throat/backbore is not common.

Speaking if custom jobs, why not give Mark Curry or the like a call?

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    might be worth checking out Asymmetrics
    The New Asymmetric Trumpet Mouthpiece
    anyways - John Lynch has pictures up to show the rim size - and schematics to show the design criteria (Lead 342 is real shallow)
    can't hurt to look at a website - can it?

4. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    You could try a Stork Vacchiano model. The rims are very rounded, but IMHO, are on the thin side as well.

5. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Jet-Tone MF Personal. If anything, there won't be enough "cup" for you, but it has all the other elements you want.