Routine Trumpet Cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Sep 26, 2012.

1. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    I oil the valves after every session and run a snake through every couple of weeks, I probably dismantle and wash it twice a year. I go off the care instructions that came with the trumpet and it seems to still be in good nick.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use Palmolive with OXY plus (10 oz. size). Dump the whole bottle into warmest water I can. Depending on the horn and crud factor, soak for an hour or overnight. Snake, rinse, snake rinse, air dry and dry the inside with my leadpipe swab. Frequency depends on how often you use a particular horn. I can usually clean 2-4 horns in that one solution before the water is too nasty.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I see Richtom and I both mention using Ultra-Pure slide gease in our final stages of cleaning. I have this observation and would like to know if other's (Richtom in particular) has experienced this:

I have now had two horn that have had second valve slides shoot out of the valve casing upon my half-valving a note, then opening the valve with a full blow only since usin Ultra-pure products. The one horn, my Getzen Eterna flugelhorn, that I have been using for over 30 years, did not do this until the first month that I switched to Ultra-pure. Then on my first gig out with my Kanstul 1526 Flugelhorn, boom... the third valve slide went shooting out of the horn and into the floor (the same half valve with a more forcefull blow to sound the note to full valve).

I absolutely LOVE Ultra-pure products and still use them, and what I did was to take the Kanstul into my most highly respected tech, to have him take out the third slide dent, and told him my problem. He said he and a great solution, and re-tooled the third valve slide. What ever he did works well, as there is a little more of friction in moving the slide, yet with Ultra-pure, it remains easy to remove.

1) So in using Ultra-pure slide grease to put the slides back on the horn, anyone experience their slide shooting off with more agressive playing?

2) Or is it must me and I am just full of hot air?

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That just ain't wight!

A bwand new dent on your baby! Rats! (oops, I mean wabbits!)

Anyway, when half-valving you are blowing through a restricted passage and the air hits the surface of the valve instead of the port, and when you release it you are pushing air against more and more piston surface, though you are also blowing through a more and more restricted passage, and the air is pushing back into the crook because it is hitting that piston surface. So the pressure increasing inside the short crook goes up because you are blowing harder to compensate for the restricted passage. And then, tongue level, oh, no not here.

Use a good, stiff lube, like lanolin, for the 3rd and tuning slide (or bit). You need to be able to remove it and replace it easily, but the slippery stuff which works on 1 and 3 (trumpet) is too slippery for the others. Use the same stiff lube and be careful on the fwug, ...er, flug with 1 and 4 too, since if you half-valve them they are not secured and will also blow off.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Questions for Gmonady, have you ever, or know of anyone who has used the lubrication that is used for medical patient electronic hook-up as a lubricant for their musical instruments? If not, what would you think of using it in a pinch? It seems to be removable readily.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    King Trumpet, I wouldn't blast, but I still wouldn't want to clean up my office area if I did this in it. Best just a blast in the commode and then easy to flush.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No. And with the cost of medical supply products, it must cost many times more than conventional lubricant.

Now perhaps you could try KY Jelly and after using ask your instrument, "Was it good for you?"

OK but after using and just before putting my lips to the trumpet I would yell:

Clear!!

[A little doctor humor (humour)]

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    rockwell,

Much good advice has been given here for cleaning your trumpet. If the trumpet has lacquer intact make sure you only use WARM water - never HOT water or your lacquer will start peeling off the instrument. That is not good unless you don't like lacquer?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

10. peterp

peterp Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    NJ/NY
    I try not to do frequent baths with the Committee to keep the lacquer intact, so I use Herco Spitballs as cleaning maintenance in between baths. They work quite well. I run them through a few times with every valve combination, then I soak the spitball with valve oil and run through again a few times.