Routine Trumpet Cleaning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rockwell, Sep 26, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Do you blow water through the valve system like the owner's manual recommends?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'd like to suggest that a new instrument be washed BEFORE you use it - it's amazing what such a process reveals, otherwise, see above.

3. peterp

peterp Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    NJ/NY
    Is this the Committee or Spitballs owner's manual? I don't have either manual and haven't heard of blowing water through the valve system. Can you provide more info?

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  5. peterp

peterp Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    NJ/NY
    Thanks so much for posting this manual! I've never heard of blowing water through the valve system or pouring oil down the first valve slide. It's not clear to me why putting oil down the first valve slide would act as a cleaning agent, but I'll give both procedures a try. It's surprising it doesn't say how often to do the water flush. I agree with their last statement that less oil is needed over time, when I use Yamaha light synthetic oil (by far my favorite), it goes a long time on the Committee before it needs to be oiled again. Relative to this thread, it seems like the flush and first slide oil would be beneficial for other horns as well.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    A.) -- your definitely full of HOT AIR, or more precisely a mix of air and carbon dioxide that (hopefully you exhale) --- well, obviously you exhale, or you wouldn't be able to post!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    B.) --- the simplest solution is to USE WHAT WORKS!!!!!!!! --- for me, I have always used vaseline on the slides -- and they have enough friction to keep them from blowing out (yeah, it's heavier than ultra pure stuff). Then again --- when I QUIT the trumpet for 10 years and stored it in the closet ---- after picking it up after a DECADE ----EVERYTHING, including the slides worked just as easily as the day I put it in the closet!!!!!!!!!!!!
    C.) although, because I want a QUICKER reaction to the 3rd valve slide, I have recently used TROMBOTINE slide cream on that slide ----then again TROMBOTINE has been around for a hundred years ----------------so WHY CHANGE WHAT HAS ALWAYS WORKED WELL????? ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh, to answer the OP --- uhm!! keep your mouth clean and you are likely to have less problems with dirt and debris. I (at least once a week) put several drops of valve oil in the leadpipe and let it work its way through the horn!!!
    I snake the lead pipe out every month or so ---- and usually clean the trumpet in mild dish detergent soak (absent valves and pads) for an hour or so -- once a YEAR, whether it needs it or not!!!!!!!!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You are so welcome. I played my '46 Committee for about a month before I read this. I said, what the heck, let's give it a try. Wow, the horn played so much faster and with an incredible response since I started oiling the first slide and blowing water through the valve system.

9. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Do you do the alcohol wash to kill bacteria?

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii

1) Never launched one, but my 60B first valve slide sometimes likes to "auto flatten", unfortunately, regardless of needing to or not.

2) Not full of hot air at all Doc, and I find your posts both entertaining and informative :-)