Routines for Higher notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by msodasoccer51, Jan 3, 2009.

1. msodasoccer51

msodasoccer51 New Friend

Sep 1, 2008
    I am looking for some ideas as to a good warm-up, practice, and warm-down that will help build my upper register, I can currently play an E above the C above staff solid, but the F is squeaky. I have talked to a trumpet player names Jari Vallanueva, and he recommended Max Schlossberg's 'Daily Drills & Technical Studies for trumpet. I was also hoping for some other exercises that will build my upper register, yet help not affect my lower register.

P.S. Right now I am a freshman in high school if that makes a difference.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Practice (lots of it)
    schlossberg is a good book
    long tones can help
    caruso exercises

overall, range just eventually develops, The idea is to be able to play comfortably up there, so one thing that helped me was playing up there more (if you have the clarke technical exercises, play the high ones)

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    James Stamp has expanded my range, but like any exercise, in order to get results you have to make sure you are doing it correctly. I used to play a lot of high note exercises but got nowhere. But with proper guidance, practice and knowledge I was able to overcome my range difficulties.

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    The Cat Anderson Trumpet Method is available online as a PDF. You can print out the whole thing or individual sections. Emphasizes holding long notes, then arpeggios. Some of the exercises are playing the same note for minutes at a time.

Ken Saul has some interesting high note exercises at the Ultrapure Oils website: http://www.ultrapureoils.com/pdf/high_range_exercise.pdf

There are not shortcuts. You've got to build up the muscles in the embochure.

One tip that does seem to be helping me. Work on your high range only every other day, give your muscles time to recoup. Practice everyday, but only do the high range stuff every other.

Good luck,
    Steve

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    For what it's worth, I was able to break through a pretty significant plateau by using Clyde Hunt's Sail the Seven C's: Trumpet method book for high notes - book with CD bundle

It was a real eye-opener for me and introcuded me to the value of pedal tones for high note playing.

There are strong opinions on both sides of the material, so take it for what it's worth.

6. BobList

BobList New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Baltimore, Md.
    Trumpet Solfeggio, By John Blount......everything you need for low, middle, and high Range..
    Chas Colin publishing has it, or go to John's website. Top link below.

Bob

7. scottlashbrook

scottlashbrook New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    London UK
    Maynard Fergerson said "my lip is no stronger than anyone elses, but the support I give it is as strong as you can get"
    Forget about conditioning your chops and work on the support. Check out Bobby Shew's website, and find out about the wedge breath technique. Providing your chops are getting all the usual work needed to develop them, then no study book will make a difference. If you're hitting an E then the F is just a semitone away, and the G just a tone, see what i'm saying, keep your apature open and up the air speed, not the air volume.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    How about getting a good private teacher, express your desires, and then do what they tell you? Nothing can replace the value of a good teacher, following their direction, and last but not least practice.

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Believe it or not soft long tones and lip slurs will help the upper register develop, rest as long as you play, practice arpeggios up and down then go up and hold the top note ,alternate between the tongue one day and the slur the next, play melodies up to your top note then play it again up a 1/2 step all softly, the Clarke Technical studies are also excellent, work on breath support ,let your air do the work up there! Never practice until your lip is exhausted , that does more harm than good, as far as a warm downs go I don`t use them , you don`t need them, maybe just flap your lips a couple of times then put the horn away, if your lips are tired more playing isn`t going to help them , resting them will. Remember to play high you have to practice high just do it intelligently

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If your E is solid, but the F is squeaky, you are playing with too much force. Range does not just stop when you have earned it, it just gets gradually thinner.

Depending on how much too much that is, it is possible that NO EXERCIZE will help without outside guidance.

I advocate practicing softly with VERY LOW LEVELS of testosterone. Long tones, lip slurs and Clarke Technical Studies up an octave are what I use - never louder than a soft piano. When I started really working on range over 30 years ago, it took a year to get a clean usable double C. Most of that work was done on the piccolo trumpet back then.