ROWUK and other german guys please help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Feb 19, 2010.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    If you want to totally impress with trivia, you could get the dictionary Fachwoerterbuch (sorry, I can't find the Umlaut key) ISBN 3-932275-94-2 which gives German English for all words describing parts of woodwind and brass instruments.

For instance, Lagerboch is nothing to do with beer, it is one of the posts which holds the lever mechanism on a rotary trumpet. Lager is a bearing(!). Which kinda makes sense....

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks! I had looked via google, and I had looked on about 10 different sites and couldnt hardly find any of it so I just decided to ask here. So yeah ill look into that book "Pocket manual of Music Terms" but yeah, thanks for the help on that! I'll definately print it all off. :thumbsup:

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    We used to pronounce it "Folksvagen," and the abbreviation "fau vey." Ever notice that the abreviation "VW" has more syllables than "Volkswagen?"

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Clever - and when you say www as opposed to world wide web the former has more syllables. Oh, and I was kidding about the spelling of Volkswagen, I know it should be spelt KDF.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For the record, ROWUK is an American living in Germany.

My translations:
    Blas. This means "blow" in German, the opposite of suck
    u. Bl. This is an abbreviation for übel which means sickly
    Fag. Fagott or bassoon, the funniest players in the orchestra
    Holz wood, but only meaning woodwinds. Violins are also wood but get a different abbreviation - Str
    Bl This is an abbreviation for all wind instruments although most of the time brass are not included
    Klar. This means "sure" or "clear", two things that have NOTHING to do with the clarinet
    Melodie hervor This means that we can play more loudly
    Tutti ohne Pk. All together now - without the tympani
    rinF Short for reinforced - we can accent more loudly
    Bassi sempre col 8va basso This means that the basses are allowed to octave the part, DOWN
    Col 8va basso This means that we are NOT allowed to octave up the passage!
    Arco Take a bow
    Ossia These are multiple players from what used to be East Germany
    Holzbl This designates passages where the conductor has to pay special attention to intonation
    Sempre col 8ra basso This is a March by J.P. Sousa - down an octave
    Tutti ohne Klar This is a passage where the conductor doesn't have to worry about intonation
    Tutti ohne Pk. This is a passage where the conductor doesn't have to worry about rhythm
    Vell The opposite of Übel

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You spent more time in Germany than I, so I defer to your judgement--does Streichinstrument refer to hitting the instrument, player, or both?

I have a favorite saying based on a German fairy-tale "Sieben Striecher mit einer Fliege!"

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    trumpetnick likes this.
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Streichinstrument is a literal translation not suitable for this site.

I personally think it is the instrument used to induce a stroke. Kind of the opposite of a defibrillator.

I would prefer sieben Fliegen zu einen Streicher.....

8. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Alles hat ein ende nur die Wurst hat zwei.

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    My VW is very confused. It was conceived by German engineers, but manufactured in Mexico and now lives in Cincinnati, OH (though we are a fairly German U.S. city).

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I was confused when I went to Cincinnati too, and I've never been to Mexico. ;-) I'm better now, though. :cool: