Rowuk ----And practicing music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Aug 2, 2009.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hello Rowuk I have a question for you I have noticed you mentioned several times about practicing music without warming up ,I assume no scales ,slurs or long tones ,just play music.Now my question is I am a comeback player and I have only been playing 6 months ,can I do this too or is this for people that have been playing for a while longer than I have ,Thank you for any help,Anthony

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anthony,
    I find that until good habits have been developed, a good daily routine is the best medicine. Once we are well on our way, we just need to cover all the bases in the course of the day. I have never had a student with less than 3 years of playing that I could have called "well on their way" and suspect the same for you.

The issue is that if we do not have our playing under control, we bend and twist the embouchure, body use and breathing to get a given result. That builds bad habits that are hard to unlearn.

So, it may work, but probably not. Don't worry about it if you show up late for church and have to jump in playing, just don't make it your normal MO.

3. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Thank you Rowuk ,so a good daily routine it is for a least 3 years ,Thank you for your help, Anthony

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Anthony,

Do you mind if I jump in? I hope you said yes:

I try to stay in a routine but because I have a full time job and a family, it's hard.
    I use my warm up to get the right set up and feel and get the chops going.

If I haven't played much it happens fast. If I played really hard the day before it takes longer. Sometimes I don't have a way to warm up on a job. The first song is my warm up. If the first song is a killer lead chart, I'm in trouble.

5. rdt1959

rdt1959 Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Georgia

I am also a comebacker with a full time job, and I totally agree with this. I might add that, for me, a warm up not only gets the chops going but gets me mentally focused on the music as well.

If I find myself in a situation were I will not have time to warm up before the gig, I will buzz my mouthpiece in the car on the way. Just becare of your shirt. Mouthpieces to not have water valves!

6. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    You can a do good warming-up in 5-10 minutes. It doesn't take that much time if you doing it right.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  7. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

8. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Guy's thanks for your input everyone ,I have no problem doing warm-ups and routine etc..my question was that Rowuk who I respect mentioned that sometimes you dont need to warm up But ...I think he meant for players that have a lot mors years than I do ,anyway thank you everyone ,Anthony :lol:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Let me say here that there is a BIG difference between CAN and SHOULD. You SHOULD do the things that are the best for your chops, and that means practice lots with as low an impact as possible. You CAN play harder for less time and get a similar effect, just not for very long.

Do what you should, when you should and you will never HAVE to do when you HAVE to!