rowuk....breathing exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 5, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Crow,
    good breathing habits developed and used away from the horn will find their way into your playing. The concious "deep" exhale is done before you play your first note. After that, the musical line and lung capacity determine where other inhale/exhale processes occur. It is not sensible to play until you drop. We are primarily making music. As our breathing develops, it is one less thing between our souls and the audiences ears.
    Anything that we do with the horn attached to our face needs to keep the musical agenda up front. We can and should practice breathing with and without the horn

2. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sofus,
    there is no argument about repetitions (exercize) to develop technique.
    During the beginning of any venture in life, we need to prepare. Things that we do often become routine. That is why it is very important to do them right the first time and every time after that. That is why body use and breathing cannot be separated and technique must be understood BEFORE exercizing. Improper habits need to be unlearned before correct habits can take hold. We are human and all have baggage. There will always be something left to do!

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I couldn´t agree MORE, believe me, Robin!!
    However, body use and breathing can be
    separated from the horn . . .
    I also understand that one reason why you
    may dislike the way I talk about these things
    is that you´re affraid that I will give the
    beginners the wrong ideas in their heads.
    This only proves that you are the kind of
    teacher that takes concern in everybodies
    wanting to learn things; you want them to
    learn things in the right order.

So let me be clear: NOTHING you´ve ever
    said about finetuning, muscle work etc. has
    ever been something I´ve disagreed on!!
    I simply, for my own selfish reasons, want
    to know about the things you probably
    teach your students when the right time has
    come for them!!

The reason why I tend to turn to you with my
    questions is that you´ve always proven great
    knowledge aboth things as well as patience in
    answering!
    However, I will continue to be the selfish bstrd I am . . .:-)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hear! Hear!

However, I would like to encourage you, Sofus to continue asking the questions that many of us are unable, unwilling, or too little aware to ask. While you may think of this as selfshness on your part, and an imposition on ROWUK - you both provide an immense and deeply appreciated service to the rest of the silent (somewhat ignorant) majority. Well done and thanks to you both.

Sofus likes this.
  5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi crowmatic,
    I'm not rowuk, but one of the things he advocates is the "circle of breath" and I use a varied form of it. I just started not long ago on this and it appears to be helpful.
    One of the things I do every day is clear my lungs of old air.
    Exhale as much as you can and then inhale as much as you can a couple time.
    Also, I practice holding my breath.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi rowuk,
    So what you're saying is "practice doesn't make perfect. perfect practice makes perfect"
    I couldn't agree more.

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Markie,
    I leave the myth of perfection to frustrate the perfectionists. My goal is much easier: just a little better each day regardless of where it is from. Work out the obvious first. Don't wait until tomorrow. Take joy in each small step.

Unlike politicians that create "packages" to push agendas, I don't let one concept get in the way of another. I try to figure it out and just DO IT.

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    hey Rowuk, where can I find this circle of breath. I've searched but I found only this thread and few simmilar but not the thread about circle of breath

please give me a link. thank you

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can find it right here (the search function is suboptimal):

draw a big circle. The left side is inhale, the right is exhale. Notice at the top and bottom there are no bumps, angles or other disturbances.

This is my model. Practice inhaling and exhaling (without the horn!), aim for that smooth transition without holding air back or "pushing" air out. Try this inhaling through the nose then the mouth - only exhale through the mouth.

Once you get the idea, do the same thing with the horn. Inhale through the nose and exhale through your lips into the horn - use NO TONGUING. If your exhale is big and full, you get a nice sounding long tone. Make the breathing the circle, no bumps.

For players new to this we are talking about at least 4 weeks of practice until we can inhale/exhale our complete range into long tones with no tongue and no bumps!

Once long tones are under control, we move this concept to lipslur exercizes - inhale/exhale - no tonguing!

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    you are confusing me now -why no tonguing???