rowuk....breathing exercises?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 5, 2009.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Django Reinhardt had twisted fingers and was also DIY

No need to slam DIYers every single day. It is not like you do not have enough RL students. I have a feeling that you treat DIY as some sort of pirates like they are stealing a bread from your mouth or something. Thats the feeling I got sometimes.

BTW Django rulez :thumbsup:

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    FrankMike sez:
    Django Reinhardt had twisted fingers and was also DIY.
    ---------
    As an educator, the one thing I've learned is that I can not teach anyone anything.
    The only person that can put information into a student's head is the student.
    At best, I'm a facilitator.
    I guess the best DYI'ers make sure to get more than one perspective unless the person you're getting the info from is really respected in the field.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Isn't that the truth?

All we educators do is find the "light switches" for them (or thanks to the Japanese, the 'right' switches) - and maybe assist a little in switching those circuits on - the rest is the student, whatever the field of study.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The German language makes a distinction between Musikern and Musikanten, roughly equal to "musicians" and "players." A musician listens to and hears everything, a player only hears themselves. There are tons of DIY musicians (we tend to call them "natural players," for some un-natural reason) including Django.

I don't think rowuk has anything against DIY in and of itself, but does have an issue with "DIY players." I know I do!

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    ok...thanks Vulgano

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The internet ain't got ears. Teachers do.