Rowuk in the candy store!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Every year in Germany, shortly before Easter, we have the world largest music fair in Frankfurt(at least the fair people advertise it as such - my feet agree today). I generally do not go to fairs because there is seldom something new that I haven't seen and it is one full day of running around and being bombarded by things that would be almost musical if they happened one after the other. That combined with the normal pubescent attempt to prove that "Maynard did not know what range is about" squeeks and squeals, strains my patience and nerves. In any case, after not going for a couple of years, it was time to take the plunge with my second son who is studying recording engineering at the SAE.
    I spent about 3.5 hours in the wind instrument pavillion. Of course there are many trumpets there and I tried quite a few and would like to give just a quick run down.
    I stopped at Andy Taylors' booth first. I have played a couple of his horns before but never met him in person. What a wonderful person he is! We talked for a while. I let him know that I normally play a Monette Ajna 2 and he should decide what I should try first. He gave me his lightest horn (I do not remember the name - it doesn't matter anyway because ALL of his horns played wonderfully)! With all the noise (those damn Maynard wannabes!) it was not so easy to get a real picture but except for his heaviest large bore Chicago model where one single note (G on top of the staff - could have been me, the gap, the mouthpiece or the horn) was a bit flat, I could have been very happy with any of these horns! Monster Bauerfeind valves, excellent workmanship and I have the impression that if you buy one of his horns, you buy into the family. The real treat with Andy was his medium bore Cornet. I HAVE NEVER PLAYED A SWEETER SOUNDING INSTRUMENT IN MY LIFE! TRY HIS HORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I played the new Bach Piccolo. After reading about it here at TM, I just had to try it. 2 or three scales and I put it back on the trumpet stand. I won't go into any detail, but there is nothing about that particular one that I played that DESERVED the name Bach. If Vincent was alive that horn would have gone back to the drawing board. Bob Malone needs to align more than the valves!
    Another hit was a rotary Bb made by Laetzsch - the trombone maker. That horn almost plays itself. Just breath into it - it's alive! His piccolo trumpet (also rotary) is on my list of best instruments that I have played. Easy high register, in tune, well built and with his "Full Flow" patented valves. The casings are made out of red brass and the valve is out of carbon fiber. It has marine grade ball bearings so it NEVER needs to be oiled. A true maintenance free valve. I have these valves on my picc and after 8-9 years, they are still maintenance free! We could start a discussion if carbon fiber belongs in a trumpet, but after the amount of time I have played them, the low and high temperatures and them NEVER having let me down sonically or mechanically, I have no further comment - other than to try it!
    Kanstul was there with it seemed like 50 different trumpets. I tryed his X model and that is a very fine horn. In tune, easy blow, brilliant sound, easy to hear in that noisy environment. It just felt too light for me (I am just used to a heavier horn). So they pulled out a 1501. That played like a perfect Mount Vernon Bach! The sound was a bit more compact than conventional but more expressive. It would fit playing in german orchestras very well. I also tried one of the Piccs (only the one with the trumpet shank) and it was very good. Most of the piston valved Piccs (Stomvi, Selmer, Schilke.....) sound too bright to me. When playing chamber music with human voices, the sound sticks out. I have the impression this is the same way. The rotary instruments with gold brass bells get closer to what is in my head.
    Courtois was also there. Their trumpets really "bark" (no they are not dogs! The sound is very sharp and concise) especially in the low register. These may very well be the most efficient trumpets ever made. Fantastic build, intonation and projection. You just have to have that to me bit agressive sound in your head. They sound "up close" regardless of how far away you are! I noticed that at the last Nakariakov concert that I went to.
    Well, I could go on and on but have some other stuff to do tonight.
    Just for the record: I tried no new mouthpieces!!!!!!!!!!!
    I looked at the Yamaha line up - didn't see anything new so didn't spend any time playing anything there. I think today was enough fair for the next 3 or 4 years!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Robin,

Thanks for the play by play! Really good to hear some great things about Taylor, Kanstul, Laetzsch, and Courtois.

Some Cornet huh? Are you tempted?

All the Best,

Richard

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Frankfurt is fun! Amazing thing is, it seems like trumpeters are the only ones who go nuts trying stuff out, and yeah, the Maynard Wannabes do take some of the fun out. I got to be there on one of the days when the Musikverein players were at home, and it was still a zoo. A very nice petting zoo, though!

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    This year was the first year in a long time that I did not attend the Messe. By chance, did you try out any trumpets from a younger guy who is based in Nurnberg? The company name escapes me at the time, but I tried his horns a few years back and they were so tempting that I almost sold my Eclipse! He and his partner make the horns and sell the best gig bags I have ever owned.

Glad you enjoyed your time at the Messe and were able to try some great horns. Thanks for the reviews as well.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rowuk,

The Bach picc?

As they would say in Frankfurt...

De kanner nur de kopp schuttele!

-cw-

6. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Hi Rowuk

Glad you were able to sample the wonders of Taylor...I continue to be thrilled by my Chicago 11 Lite......I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Andy but hopefully one day soon.

Walter

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't know any manufacturers in Nürnberg. Horns in that class would be maybe from Ricco Kühn? (except for the Taylors and Laetzsch, I didn't play anything else in the Eclipse Class - even although the air is not as thin up there as it used to be!)

Jerry, the Egerländer Musikanten (ex Ernst Mosch) were there for autographs and a little high class Um-Pah music!
    Chuck, I would like to ring the necks of the marketing people that signed off on the bach picc! No great trumpet player could have!
    Richard, I am always tempted. I have a P3 coming this sommer and that keeps me sensible-for the time being anyway!
    Walter, Taylor is no wonder. They are made by somebody that understands what he is doing and who makes sensible design decisions. If you get a chance to meet him, competence is the second thing that strikes you (his great personality is in first place!). A wonder implies a bit of luck. Andy is pure skill!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  8. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
  9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Yeah, I saw the horns. I didn't know that they were in Nürnberg. They had some posters of good players that use them.
    The build quality (solder joints, fit and finish) on the horns displayed was not my taste however-maybe they play ok. The cases (Soundwear) look nice but they didn't have one that my large bell Monette would fit into.

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Bob Malone doesn't have anything to do with the Bach Pic. From what I have read here that horn is made by Stomvi. Maybe you are thinking of Bob Reeves.