Rowuk in the candy store!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Mar 29, 2007.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Your right - Bob Reeves. I never played a Stomvi this bad.

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi Rowuk,

I have been reading and posting in Trumpetmaster for only a short time, but I must say I always find your postings informative, educational and entertaining.

I quite enjoyed your post on the Frankfurt music fair. Keep it coming!

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    You have ordered a P3?
    You will not be disappointed.
    Its a very versatile instrument especially with a change of mouthpiece.
    Are you getting the large or small size receiver?
    The choice depends on your natural pitch.
    I went for the small size because I get sharper as I go higher and he adjusted everything to work with that set up.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I had a similar experience at the Dawsons shop in Manchester. I tested some heavy C Taylor trumpet but for some reason only the low g (below the staff) seemed somewhat weak (not flat, just a bit sof and not so brilliant) ...I was very suprised because all the rest was so nice. I cannot explain that as my knowledge on trumpet mechanics, physics etc is rather poor ( I can tell wether a horn plays well or not, but it will be difficult to me to explain the reason as far as building is concerned) Unfortunately I did not remember what model it was but it was rather heavy.

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gordon,
    I let Dave make those decisions. It doesn't have the schank size of my Ajna2. Dean Comley did say something about a unique size for the P3 range however.
    I get along with the Ajna2 and Prana mouthpieces so I think that I am pretty relaxed. Dave does seem to find something "tense" every time I am at the shop.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The Messe is quite a treat, but a little goes a long way. ;-) I attended a couple of times while living across the pond. It is a massive show/fair. Thanks for the report Robin.

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin and Folks,

Can you give me any information on the playability and prices of the scherzer rotary combo piccolo in f/g?

8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hi Nick,
    I have never seen a Scherzer F/G. I'll see if I can find one. I think Stölzel in Wiesbaden is the biggest dealer for Scherzer, if there is one available, they will have it. I play a rotary G from Enders (now deceased) in Mainz. It has a gold brass D trumpet bell. Big, fat, dark sound but has an easy upper register. I use it sometimes instead of a C when I play Mozart and the conductor thinks that we should dance more (although I have never met a conductor that could dance!).

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I am sure that there is one as TMike has a Scherzer in G only but I remember seeing the combo on BrassReview.com ...is Enders still available?

10. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Rowuk:

Like many others, I really do enjoy your posts. Now the "Messe" seems to be another trumpet geek thing to hit--I know it emptied a lot of US manufacturers' showrooms (I went to tour the Schilke factory and ALL of their showroom was crated up and heading over there.)

After googling some key words (messe, germany, "music fair", trumpet) and sifting through some french horn CD's made in Germany (which I may buy, BTW), I think this is the website for the festival coming in '08: Musikmesse Frankfurt -