Rowuk is the biggest idiot here!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Feb 18, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Like posting more and more of your amazing twists on the nuances of playing the trumpet. There is NOTHING like them in the world. AND I have learned so much from them. I only leave your posts asking for more. So, nur ein bissen, bitte?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Reading Rowuk's experience, and the so many others that have posted here on TM their human experiences related specifically to the physiological consequences of OUR love for the trumpet, ALWAYS launches for me a medical search of the literature. Some times I can find good Evidence-based studies (hypersensitivity pneumonitis) but often times not so much (hiatal hernia-upside down stomach).

As I approach my retirement from the clinical world of medicine, and launch into a more formal musical career, it is my hope and goal to meet up with younger physician/musicians at academic centers that I come in contact with in future travels and instill upon them the importance of growing a clear body of research that follows the etiology and prognosis of anatomical maladies (Sachmo Syndrome), the neuropathies, and medical conditions impacted by trumpet playing (asthma) so we can better recommend and predict what is best for those of us that choose this demanding instrument.

I feel so helpless in many of the cases and calls for help when I field medical requests from our members (and believe me, I get them frequently). I am left to only advise from my common sense knowledge, which I in full disclosure,admit scares the bagebies out of me, almost as much as the embarrassment in my ability to spell.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I understand and hope the recuperation goes well. And, no, you are not an idiot. You are a dedicated professional who is only human. Please don't be hard on yourself. Since you know better than most here know that the trumpet is a mental game, you will snap back to it in no time. Fortunately, the recuperation will be too short to return as a "comeback player" like the rest of us. ;-)

BB

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ted, I'm on my second, but have about the same amount of time with this one:roll::oops:

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh, are you married to Ted's wife too? You are Mormon than I am.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It would be really cool to find a qualified study on Diaphragm and Abs activity (Tension, fine motor activity/coordination with the breathing apparatus) when playing the trumpet in a symphonic setting (that fits my playing venues most closely).

best regards,

the Idiot

Please note, I separate between Idiot and Moron. The Idiot knows better but makes a personal choice...............

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Ah, then I'm in a different catagory from you.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It would make for a nifty study, especially with and without nerves. I suspect that the abs are going to be engaged even while inhaling from the nervous ones.

It would be fun too, if the study involved the Vulgano RAY OF POWER.

9. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Rowuk... Hang in there. Three months will pass quickly -- and then when you are 78 like some of us, you will look back and think Egad, those years passed by so quickly I must have been asleep during most of them. Here's hoping for a fast and complete recovery..... JA

10. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Robin, glad to hear you are still in one piece. Be a good patient. Follow Mr. Doctor's and Miss Nurse's recommendations. 3 months no playing? Late Winter and early Spring in your part of the world. Wow. All sorts of wonderful things to do. How about going on a walking tour and writing a travelogue?

Honestly, so glad to hear you are a-okay.