Rowuk is the biggest idiot here!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Just my 2 cents, Rowuk--
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery, and may you come back better than ever....

2. GarryOwenBrain

GarryOwenBrain New Friend

Oct 28, 2012
    Montgomery, AL
    Thanks for this.

3. B-Flat Cat

B-Flat Cat Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    I have learned much from reading your posts since joining Trumpet Master. I offer no advice, just my sincerest wishes for your speedy recovery.

4. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Best wishes, Rowuk. Maybe you will write more during your convalescence. You have such a lot of insightful and useful things to say.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well,

three weeks have gone by. The wounds are closed and I can eat solid food again. Today was my first day of work. What have I discovered:

1) I have 2 liters more air lung capacity than before the operation.
    2) I can't perform my Circle of Breath yet. I can inhale and exhale "big" but I can't place any articulation at the transition between those two states. The tonguing comes way too early, even if I am really concentrating. I just think that the net sewn into the diaphragm is slowing it down compared to my old habits. It is most likely a "dampened" muscle right now.
    3) after 3 weeks of not even buzzing on a mouthpiece, my face feels like mush and I have bitten into my cheeks on the inside several times.
    4) now that I have been off the pain pills for over 2 weeks, I can read scores in 3D again (yeah!!) I tried last week and got a headache after the first page. The Beethoven symphonies are up for reading and I got 3rd and 5th done. Please note that I do not play the music while reading the score. I try and let the whole thing happen in my head. #7 is up next-tough trumpet parts.
    5) I am eating and choking less (probably not a bad thing.......)
    6) I am posting more here at ™

Rowuk

6. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Great! Keep healing! We all wish you a quick and complete recovery.

7. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Health is everything, more than trumpet!! Always appreciate your smart commentary and well-intentioned guidance. Get well!
    ed

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    What? No, no, no, living without trumpet is too harsh to think about.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I agree with gzent. Not thinking about it would be best, but that doesn't work - because it would be SOOOOOOOOO easyyyyyyyyy!

Fear is harsher - fear of having to go through this again because of stupidity and impatience.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I wouldn't call it stupidity or impatience. Professional musicians are often pretty driven people. When you are driven, you
    focus a LOT on what your life goal is. And when you focus a LOT on that, it becomes easy to not focus on what your
    body is telling you isn't right.

In the past some have called it being a "work-a-holic". But I think it's more of some sort of obsession that isn't really "work" to
    the driven person. It is like the air they breath, they just live for it. The highly driven
    get so into their "obsession" (not that an obsession is necessarily a bad thing) and they sometimes don't pay attention
    to their own aches and pains.

I know a guy who is so obsessed with his work (initials are JH) that he likely doesn't know what is going on in the Ukraine,
    and likely didn't watch a single minute of the Olympics. Some people are just like that - so into what they are doing that
    current events are passe to them.

I guess we can all learn that being trumpet-crazy is fine, but be careful about being so into trumpet that other parts of
    life don't "register".