Rowuk is the biggest idiot here!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Feb 18, 2014.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks for sharing, hope your path back to proficiency is quick and profitable.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Thanks Greg,

actually I have learned a whole lot with this situation - especially about the significance of the diaphragm. If even half of what I previously believed was true, I should have not been able to play at any decent level. Obviously there are alternative methods of air management and I will be spending time with some medicine students on this and sharing the results.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, I think the views of lung capacity may be off. It's how you use air, not how much you have that matters.
    Manny talked about this once, either here, or in person. He was saying how he has a small lung capacity. That's
    when I realized that one doesn't need to be an exceptional physical specimen to be a great player.

So much of playing this demanding instrument is about proper mechanics, yet, those mechanics must be internalized
    so deeply that you don't even think about them while you are playing. I wish I was at that point, but am not.

I still need to remind myself about posture, breathing, not using too much pressure, etc.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Wow, what great comeback documentation. Keep it coming. To be honest, I will likely use this material (you will be appropriately credited) when I write my book some day on "Medical Issues for the Trumpet Player". My plan is to not only write on the condition and consequences, but how to treat and rehab the condition to come back to optimal form. Your story is a special on and will be a feature on the Chapter on Gastrointestinal Issues for the Trumpet Player. To protect your identity, I will kindly report your case as the one of Kingtrumpet! That'll throw the readers off a bit.

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    All things being equal, trumpet is all mental. Your neuromotor system is now hardwired after all these years of playing. The kinesthetic - sensorimotor part will soon (and easily) come back on-line. The fact that you lost so little is a testament to that. The physicality of playing the trumpet is way over estimated. A certain amount is important for sure. For example, it is like Eric Bolvin says on his website about the pencil exercise: "if you can do it for 4 minutes (I think that was the number) straight, you have enough strength to play."

I have had the opportunity to see and hear retired trumpet professors 80+ play. The power and beauty of each note would make your jaw drop. The first trumpet in one of my old community bands was 80+ and was leading the 60 year olds. He had very little physical conditioning (did not look in great shape at all) but could play like a maniac. Efficiency! He has got it.

Rowuk, if you have been play at a high level for as long as suggested, you have great efficiency hardwired into you. Your brain is doing whatever it needs to do. Time-and-time again, elite performers such as athletes and musicians "think" they know how they are accomplishing the task and can describe what they do accurately, but a detailed scientific analysis often shows otherwise. We can not consciously control the micro-details of the elite performance; it just happens. All we have is to let our ears be our guide and let the brain naturally control the body to make the sounds we are looking.

Think of how many of us would like to sound and play as well as you, even to be at the level the first 5 minutes you touched the horn after the layoff. I know I would.

BB

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Rowuk,
    It's good news to hear that you're up and running again. Isn't it amazing that if a person does they're best to follow good mechanics, it's easier to get back in the saddle after some time off. Just think, after your medical sabbatical, you might have new and different thoughts on how to approach things (no joke). Your time off might end up being a blessing. If you're like me, if I'm not playing, I'm thinking about playing. One thing I know for sure. It drives me crazy when I can't play. Maybe trumpet should be a schedule CIII class drug. I'll have to ask the Gman about this.
    Many would have given up so it's good to hear your back at it. Bravo!!
    Dr.Mark

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gary,
    I have the CATscans wit a viewer to visualize the problem. PM me.

Greg, yes it is all about the USAGE of the air. The larger quantity due to the freed up lung does mean that less effort is required to fill up. that means lower tension-especially before long phrases.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Don't forget to include KT in your book - now that you've met me - and heard me ROFL ROFL ROFL.
    Glad that your doing great Rowuk, but you'll have to settle for "Super "trumpet" man, Master Blaster, or some other inappropriate name. KT is already taken

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't you worry none KT, I'll have a special section on mental illness devoted to you.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, I am crazy about jazz !!! ROFL ROFL ROFL of course, that includes "crazy about smooth Jazz, or my favorite "smooth Jazz" player --- of course you can derive that to be indicative of another Jazz player than you ----since you don't always play smooth jazz ROFL ROFL ROFL and she has more albums out anyhow ROFL