rowuk on the spot? are you willing?...valve oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 27, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    rowuk,
    You've been a great help to me and many TM'ers over the years, and I probably shouldn't do this. You have recommended using LaTromba T2 synthetic, and I'm about to order some. Have you used UltraPure, and if so, can you explain the difference?

crow

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I am going to jump in here. First, valve oil is a personal thing. It is like the aftershave lotion a guy uses or the type of shoes he wears. (Hopefully these are good enough analogies...but probably not to some) We all have our specific choice of valve oil. Some are more particular than others. Some just look for the best bargain.

Over the years I have found that most trumpeters, at least those that I run into, like and use Al Cass "Fast" valve oil. It is ordorless and consistant. Surprisingly, and this really through me off when attending an ITG convention, I found some trumpeters that had older horns useing Holton's Rotary Valve Oil due to it's thicker viscosity gave older valves better action. Interesting.

Personally, I have switched from Al Cass to Ulta Pure. It seems to make my valves react faster and I do not have to apply oil as often as I did when I used Al Cass.

Just one trumpeters opinion, just like the choice of the type of underwear you wear (wow, another "groaner" analogy).

Hey, what can I say, it is Friday evening and I am on my third glass of wine waiting on my wife to get ready so we can go out to dinner.

3. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    rushtucky,
    lots of good wisdom. I'm using ultra pure but I might try Holton's Rotary Valve oil on my vintage horn......... thanks ......... crow

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    One day I was on WWBW and looking at valve oil. I called them up and got the idea to try all of them. It's been a long time since I did this so I don't remember exactly but, I bought about ten different kinds of oil in one shot. I switched back and forth and found that there was no difference.

When I got my first Monette trumpet it came with Ultra Pure. Now I did notice a difference. I haven't done the experiment with the synthetic oil yet but I have come to the us-scientific conclusion that there are two different kinds of oil. Synthetic and kerosene based. Other than that it doesn't matter.

Unless Ultra Pure goes out of business I won't change. What could I look for that would work better?