Rowuk you want Teflon....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Feb 1, 2008.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I notice that Denis WIck is now selling a valve oil that contains PTFE particles which are supposed to stay on the valves even once the oil has mainly evaporated. I have bought a bottle of it but not tried it yet, its cloudy and you have to shake it before use, I was thinking of using it on the rotary trumpet. Like all Wick products its not expensive.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think this is a plus because the valves wear as we use them. If we an add metal back they will stay tight.

My Bach is old and never had valve work. Maby this would help?

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    But you're not adding metal back. You're adding Teflon back. Teflon is soft and prone to scratching. I'd think that if you get a scratch, this is a place for uneven wear and icky things to build up.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There are some reasonably scratch free frying pans.......... I guess we have to get an engineer from some company using this stuff to figure this out. Ceramics would also be a possibility.

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Maybe it would act like a compression ring on a car engine, or constantly resealing itself, refilling any scratch or void.

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Teflon coating has been tried on guns, I'm not sure if that fad's still in effect or it's passed. I know Break-Free works great on guns that are worth more than most of the trumpets owned around here :-)

That being said, it's a personal choice. I like my old pan-am, it's cool. It's silvery and usually I get the right notes on it. It's probably just about right for a learner like me. The Cadillac or trumpets, it's not. When I get really good I'm sure I'll know tons more, and it will be proper for me to have a high-end horn.

7. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    What about that cornet? How do you like it, compared to the trumpet?

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Jude I have not messed with this cornet really, I got the thing but the MP is different and I've just been messing with trumpet. Since the cornet is a pawn shop special, while it smells clean and looks awfully clean inside, I should probably give it a good washing out, and lubing. Yeah, I'll probably just use some chap-stick on the slides and break-free on the valves.

Cornet is supposed to be more "agile" than the trumpet? I'm intrigued with those old guys, early Louis Armstrong and all that, and they played cornets. A street musician I was very impressed by was playing a cornet too.

This cornet has an Old MP on it, a 3C.

I guess it's just sort of on the back burner right now.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    When you say "eventually", how long a time was that? Why did you go back? What results did you see while using it? Did it seem like the teflon went away after you went back to oil? What condition were your valves in before/after trying this?

I have a trumpet with some worn valves and I use heavy oil to help seal them. It works pretty well. If I use the teflon, will it fail to seal as well as the heavy oil?

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Here's the rub (sorry!): if you use a teflon surface layer or coating to deal with friction, then how do you deal with sealing? What kind of tolerance would be needed for a solid non-stick surface to work against a brass cylinder (or other metal liner)?

v