Roy Lawler Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mayo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Mayo

Mayo New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    Are there any Lawler players who would like to voice there views on his C7 (Martin Committe Style Trumpet)?
    I want to buy one and need some insight as to the options he offers and what to look for when I visit his shop.
    Thanks,
    Mayo

2. rolling360

rolling360 New Friend

Dec 3, 2007
    Ask Roy about my C7G Limited Edition Super Deluxe Prototype.
    Tell him Doug sent you.

3. Mayo

Mayo New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks Doug!

4. cbdmd

cbdmd Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2007
    East Coast
    Come on Lawler players! These horns have been on my mind as well. I sure can't seem to find a large bore committee out there right now.

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    The guy that sits beside me in community band owns a Lawler (don't know which model). This guy is over 70 years old and has been playing over 50 years. He finds the trumpet "acceptable" (he's got a little bit of an ego) but he was very impressed with the cooperation and willingness to make adjustments to the horn that Lawler expressed.

I'll ask him next week about his experienceds with his Lawler and I'll post his comments.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    After playing Schilke trumpets for a few years, I had Roy make me a C7, in satin gold finish.

That horn ws arguably the best horn I ever played.

There were NO faults with that trumpet.

The craftmanship was superb.

The sound was exactly what I wanted and expected.

I spoke with Roy while he was building it, first he asked what type of playing I did and he made suggestios and we went from there.

You can be certain that if Roy builds a horn the way you want it, you will be very satisfied.

Check out this thread for pictures of the C7 Roy built for me.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/satin-gold-lawler-24830.html

7. Mayo

Mayo New Friend

Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks to everyone's for there comments and I'll keep looking back at future threads.
    Reason I asked about the Lawler is that I have two good horns now that both have different tonal characteristics .I have been listening lately to Chet Baker,Chris Botti, Miles Davis,and Wallace Roney.Wallace Roney I think plays a Lawler as well as vintage and newer Martin Committee's and I love the tone of these horns.Of all the people who play a Committee I think Chris Botti along with that deeper vintage Bach cup makes the best dark mellow sound but still has some edge to it when he gets in the upper register.
    Do any of the rest of you find yourself liking several different tone shades on the trumpet?

Again Thanks and have a Good Day,
    Mayo