Rubbed/ Brushed Brass Finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RUFocused, Jul 6, 2009.

1. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
  2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I looked at his before and after photos .... Not impressed....

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The secret is the metal sponge he is using that the horn in the picture is sitting on.

My suggestion for DYIers is to go to the hardware store and pick up some 3M Synthetic Steel wool. Get the maroon stuff. It is #00 grade. Remove the lacquer and lightly buff the trumpet with strips of the 3M pad. You don't need to do very much to make it look good, just make sure you keep the direction the same for eveness.

I will sell him the secret to taking out those nice knuckle dents he has in that horn for $69.99

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yep,

3M Scotch Brite pads are used to put the finish on the brass you want before you plate it. Or don't plate it.

5. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
  6. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    ANA Mendez:
    "I looked at his before and after photos .... Not impressed...."

What were you not impressed with?

Which direction do you think would be best? Is there a right or a wrong way?

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I personally believe that a brushed finish is a fad that won't last. Plus, once you do it, you're not going to put a polished finish on that horn any more. Once you're done, it's "ruined" for life. Fine for a newly-manufactured horn but somewhat... disrespectful? for a vintage horn.

Tom

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Now that you know the secret, don't argue. We just saved you $15(minus the cost of the scotchbrite)!

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    How is it a fad? You could get horns in that finish since the 1920's.
    It's not 'ruined for life' all you have to do is take it to a shop and get it buffed and the finish is shiny again.
    Going back and forth between brushed and shiny isn't recommended thought because after too many times, the brass will be thin.

10. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    yea... i did that to my horn, i actually learned it my accident, it does tarnish very easy, and you must re do it... that is one thing i have wondered is how to keep it looking like that... it is a great look, however, and i have had many compliments...