Rubber 'O' Rings???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ALLCHOPS, Jun 24, 2005.

1. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Does anyone know where I can get some rubber 'O' rings for my slides??

Thanks,

Tony G

2. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Tony, any hardware store with a good plumbing department will have a complete selection of o rings.

Try to get the very thin ones, remember you just want to eliminate the 'clink' of the slide returning and not change the tuning.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I don't think you'd be wanting to use "rubber". The sulphur in rubber will eat the silver off your horn. Look for a synthetic. I'd try any industrial supply "house" or automotive shop.

4. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    most music repair shops have them...don't they. Most of the shops around here have them.

5. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    Most suppliers of 'O' rings can supply in various materials to use in all types of equipement,...the best ones for brass instrumentts are nitrile or polyvinyl chloride,...the latter are best as they are usually, but not always, black and will not give any compatability probs with brass/silver/ lac etc..

Unfortunately, they are not likely to be too useful in use unless the instrument has buttressed ends to the slides as the 'O' rings will just roll along the tubes instead of staying in place 'in the join'....very thin rings are best as has been mentined but they tend to be easily broken and need constant repalcement as polyvinyl is quite soft.

At the moment I am trying to find a set of the unique black 'O' rings for my Besson 'International' cornet,...this is the REAL 'international' British made not foreign,... made 1965 to 74..mine is a 72 model. These fantastic instruments were the first UK cornets to have the triggers on 1st and 3rd slides and had very thin black rings made from a hard plastic material and with a square section,..like very short tube......If anyone knows where to get these or equivalent I would like to know very much! The International and its production facilities and spare parts etc was "untimely murder'd" by Boosey and Hawkes in order to launch the 'Sovereign' which is, frankly, a much inferior instrument and does not have or need the rings.

6. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    Last night, after posting the above reply, I saw an instrument made in the US by Kanstul with excellent 'O' rings with square section obviously designed for slides without end buttresses,...so if you are in the US these should be avaiable as spare parts since my understanding is that Kanstul is a large volume mass production company.

If anyone could give me contact details for a US spares outlet where I can get some I would be grateful as Kanstuls are not normally imported into the UK.

Regards to all, Bob

7. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Here in Louisville, at the music shops, the slide o-rings are 6 for a quarter; or something very close. :-o

8. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Rubber or synthetic?

Who new this topic would have this many responses... How do I determine rubber from synthetic? Do you actually think a hardware clerk would know the difference!!

Tony G

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A hardware store clerk probably wouldn't; an automotive or industrial supply shop clerk would. The package might also be labelled (although they usually sell them "in bulk"). If it says "Nitrile" or one of the other synthetics, they're safe for use: I've had them on my horns for at least three years now with no damage.

If rings that are round in cross section is the only kind you can find, buy them a size or two smaller. They do stretch (some of them quite a lot) and that prevents them from rolling up off the slide extension and onto the main tubing.

They're dirt cheap... buy a dozen.

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    The ones supplied on the Besson cornets are made of neoprene. They are 5p each over here (about 9c)....