Ruined my playing??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by moosicles, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Please read Mouthpiece Pressure Assessment
    Hope this helps

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you're using too much pressure,try practicing every thing very soft,especially long tones and lip slurs. I find practicing lip slurs as soft as you can helps the most. If you can play flexibility exercises , scales,and arpeggios, at a ppp level,with as little pressure as possible, you should be able to tongue them the same way. The lips should feel the same as slurring,only thing you're doing differently is adding the tongue to the slur. Most times excess pressure happens when we tongue too hard. Use a light tongue, think of releasing the air (note) not attacking it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Dead tissue eventually turns black, so I wouldn't worry (unless it turns black). Too much pressure is not good but Ive never seen or heard of anyone killing the tissue of their lips from too much mpc. pressure. A range issue could be you are slipping into a bad habit, usually breathing or lack of practice, or you noticed the ring and backed off on the pressure and that cut your range.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    If tissue were dead, it wouldn't remain white. If pressure were "dangerous", there would be a lot of kids with holes in their face.
    -----
    While I don't think the trumpet is going to jump out of the water and pull you under like a 1500 pound croc, there are a lot of kids who learn(ed) the trumpet using the pressure method which, in time, can easily result in an inability to play the trumpet.

5. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I've found the easiest way to reduce pressure on my lips is to stop trying to play high notes I haven't earned yet.......just because it's high, don't make it right.....chuck

momma_horn likes this.
  6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    While it's true that dead tissue wouldn't remain white, the color change is indication that something isn't quite right.

7. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    I had the same problem in High School with using too much pressure. Kids will spend less time warming up (at most a half note 1 octive C scale) and go straight to all out playing and then put the horn back in the case. My Sr. year in school I ended up getting braces for my teeth. That my friend will teach a person a lot about mouthpiece presure.