Run in with a TSO

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Buck with a Bach, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Yesterday at practice, the young man sitting in had a broken horn with him. An Allora, made in China. Seems there was a crack developing in the casing for the #2 valve where the brace between the bell and the casing was. Made the valve quite difficult to insert. This is the second run in with valve problems on those type horns for me. Not sure if it could be repaired or not. Think it may have been a wall hanger situation. reinforces the notion of being extremely careful when using those nationality horns:-o:dontknow::oops:

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Too bad for the young man, Buck, but useful that you share it. Was your prior run-in with an Allora too? These sorts of first hand accounts are certainly worthwhile, but I wonder if they are symptomatic of anything. China, for instance, is a huge nation with a huge industrial base. I am speculating now, but it is not hard for me to think that quality management there is at least as much of a challenge as it is in the United Sates. Thank you for the post!

Jim

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    My first run in was on my flugel. Valves were sticky. Finally had to hone the bores with rotten stone on a 20ga bore mop. Messy, but did seem to solve the problem....:oops: